1,200 fill MPSC at Late Night

About 1,200 people filled the Markee Pioneer Student Center at the fourth annual Late Night at the Markee May 3.

After months of hard work and collaboration from multiple organizations, Campus Programming and Relations brought together one of the biggest events of the year.

“We took the student center, which people usually use for practical purposes, and we turned it into a really fun area so students can kick back and have fun before commencement and finals,” CPR lead event producer Kim Cordova said.

“CPR, (the Segregated University Fee Allocation Commission), Dining Services staff and the Markee student staff and professionals have been working on (Late Night) preparations since the beginning of the semester,” David Nevins, programming and special events coordinator, said.

Nevins said in previous years, the Late Night event has brought in well over 1,000 students.

The night started off with the performance of hypnotist Jim Wand, who has over 25 years of experience.  Wand began with an introductory talk about hypnosis and then was joined on stage by a handful of student volunteers.  The volunteers were hypnotized as a group and engaged in a number of skits that can be viewed on the PSC’s Facebook page

For the first time, two local bands, Atlantice and The Start Up, performed live.

“We decided we wanted to have student bands this year,” Cordova said.  “We really want to highlight the local talent and get the student body involved.”

Jake Riniker, DJ and former UW-Platteville student, continued the entertainment with his entertainment company Riniker Rhythm LLC.

Activities like laser tag, an oxygen bar, aqua massages, a bungee run and a velcro wall were provided for participants.  A Pinterest room filled with craft supplies was also new this year.

To ensure the best social and recreational entertainment for its UW-Platteville students, CPR asked students to fill out surveys throughout the night.

“(CPR) looks at surveys taken by students the previous year and uses that to determine what will be brought back and what we’ll try new,” Cordova said.

CPR representatives said student feedback is greatly appreciated and plays a pivotal role in shaping next year’s activities.

“Last year’s surveys led to the hiring of a balloon artist magician and his accompanist who walked around doing slight-of-hand tricks to entertain those waiting in long lines,” Nevins said.

The activities were spread out to give everyone an opportunity to do everything they wanted.

In addition to the activities, the Dinning Services staff and Markee student staff hosted a “food frenzy.”  This allowed students to use meal plans and points to buy tickets to spend on items that are not generally offered.

“This event is a great way to continue to get connected to Platteville. It shows Pioneer spirit and helps build the UW-Platteville community”

The next CPR event will be “Stuff Swap”, where students will be able to swap clothes, books, movies and other items for vouchers that can be traded for other items.