Mud Volleyball Tournament draws crowd

Mud+volleyball+participants+hose+off+after+the+event+Sept.+21.+
Sarah Newquist
Mud volleyball participants hose off after the event Sept. 21.

Ankle deep in mud, 25 teams competed to become the winner of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville’s first Mud Volleyball Tournament, Saturday.
The tournament, coordinated by Campus Programming and Relations, required students to register their teams online.
Each team consisted of six players, two of which had to be female.
“The turnout was much better than expected,” event coordinator Jeremy McDermott said.
With the popularity of the event and only one volleyball court available, not all registered teams were able to play in the given amount of time.
The competition started at 10 a.m. and ended at 4:30 p.m., going an hour and a half passed the time CPR had predicted the tournament to conclude.
The tournament took place next to the rugby field.
CPR event coordinators were responsible for putting up and taking down the volleyball net.
However, the construction of the court itself required some additional assistance from the Physical Plant Grounds Crew and the Platteville Fire Department.
“(The Physical Plant Grounds Crew) tilled the ground, and we made the mud,” Al Woolford, volunteer firefighter for the fire department and campus plumber, said.
The Fire Department stayed throughout the duration of the tournament to spray down the field to keep it muddy and hose off the participants after they got covered in mud.
The successful turnout has motivated CPR to try to put on another Mud Volleyball Tournament this spring.
Samantha Way, a CPR Event Coordinator, said there is only one thing they will do differently next time: provide players with multiple courts in order to increase involvement for the next tournament.
After many rounds in the mud, Jordan Schmitz, Justina Schmitz, Matt DeGrave, Rob Stallion, Claire Poad and Marcus Jackson emerged victorious.
Their team, “Multiple Scorgasms,” became the champions of UW-Platteville’s Mud Volleyball Tournament.