Scavenger hunt opens campus resources to students

Pioneers are exploring the campus to complete the First Year Experience scavenger hunt list.

The scavenger hunt was created as a part of Welcome Week and extends until 4:15 p.m. Friday.

“We wanted to get students to go to the different offices in a fun, non-threatening way,” First Year Experience staff Tracy Ball said.

There are a total of 27 offices on the list; however, students only need to visit 20.  A stamp mark must be collected at each office, proving students went to the location.  Each office has pamphlets, pencils and other free gifts to give away.

“(The scavenger hunt) was helpful,” said Emily Bobke, freshman criminal justice major.  “I didn’t know where some places were and everyone at the offices helped (me) if I was not 100 percent sure where to go.”

The hunt does not end by foot.

“We made the scavenger hunt web based, too,” Ball said. “There are media, website and social media tasks.”

Students need to complete four of the 10 web-based activities.  Tasks include emailing photos, tweeting on the UW-Platteville page and locating campus student media.

Once students check-off 24 services and resources, they may bring them to the First Year Experience office in 120 Brigham Hall.  Ball will enter names into an Excel spreadsheet and randomly select winners of the hunt.

“The Welcome Back committee and I got cool prizes for the winners,”   said David Nevins, programming and special events coordinator. “We met with Scott Marquardt and guilted him into providing a free parking pass for the top prize.”

If the winner already has a parking pass, the new pass can be rolled over for next year.  Other prizes include flash drives and coupons from Dominos and Milios.

Scavenger Hunt sheets can be picked up at the information desk of the Markee Pioneer Student Center or in the First Year Experience Office.