Police continue search for attackers

As of Tuesday, officers on the UW-Platteville police department were following up on leads of the attack by the bridge near Bridgeway Commons Saturday.

Caroline Lundberg

Caroline Lundberg

Caroline Lundberg, Local Editor

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville Police Department is investigating an attack that happened late Saturday night.

As of Tuesday night, the police had no suspects but were checking into a number of tips, UW-Platteville Police Chief Scott Marquardt said.

“We have lots of leads that we are following up on,” Marquardt said.  “We are hoping more people come forward with information (about the incident).”

According to a campus-wide email, a female student was attacked by five men while she was jogging near the bridge by Bridgeway Commons around 11:15 p.m.  One or more of the men tried to remove the woman’s clothes and succeeded in pulling off her sweatshirt and T-shirt before she ran away.

All five men were reported as white males with no distinguishing marks, scars, tattoos or facial hair and were approximately 5 feet 8 inches tall, according to a campus security alert.  Three were described as “skinny” and the other two “average” build.  The victim said they were covered from head to toe.  One of the men was kneed in the face and may have a mark from the strike on his right cheek.

The victim hit the back of her head, but was uninjured, according to a campus security alert.  Her identity has not been released, as the investigation is ongoing, University Public Information Officer Paul Erickson said.

Anyone with questions or information can contact the UW-Platteville Police Department at 608-342-1584.  The campus police is investigating any information brought forward.

Marquardt suggested students follow the general safety tips on the UW-Platteville SafeWalk website.  Chancellor Dennis Shields also sent out a campus-wide email with a list of programs the university has to help keep students safe.