NRHH prepares for first Dance Marathon

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville’s National Residence Hall Honorary organization plans to hold their first charitable dance marathon, Feb. 8.

NRHH is an honorary organization that consists of the top one percent of leaders in the residence halls.

Represented by 33 members, the main requirement is that members must live on campus.

The organization is based off of four pillars: Recognition, OTMs, Community Service and Public Relations.

“About half [the members] have been helping with the dance marathon,” NRHH President Nicole Mitchell said. “NRHH is not very well known, so we hope that the dance marathon gets our name out.”

The first charitable dance marathon originated at Indiana University, Ind.

Vice President Sydney Denstorff has been the backbone to this charity event.

Denstorff’s high school in Indiana held one while she was still a student.

“We have made this event our own, while still keeping some of the basic ideas from my high school’s [dance marathon],” Denstorff said.

This is the first year that NRHH is hosting this event, with the hopes of raising at least $2,000.

All the organization’s money, gained through the use of fundraisers, will be donated to a local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital.

NRHH chose to donate to the hospital, located in Wauwatosa near Milwaukee, because they wanted to remain as local as possible.

“We’re helping a really good cause,” junior and fellow NRHH member Hannah Shuler said. “It helps children who are in hospitals for most of their lives, and you get to help them by having a fun night of dancing. What could be better?”

Participants of the dance marathon will be learning steps to a nine-minute line dance throughout the night that everyone can do.

For those who think they cannot dance, NRHH has also arranged for different groups to perform, such as the Pioneer Dance Team, for individuals to enjoy.

NRHH wishes to address their main intention: individuals are dancing for children who are unable to dance themselves.

They came up with a slogan, demonstrating that their campaign is all about the children: #FTK, which stands for, “For The Kids.”

Along with line dancing and performances, a few other exciting events will occur.

“A few families will talk about their experience and how this funding has helped them,” Denstorff said.

NRHH will also be selling glow-in-the-dark bracelets that say, “Shake your miracle maker,” for some extra money to donate.

To help promote their charity event, NRHH visited local businesses, collecting donated prizes that will be raffled off for a small ticket fee.

In order to attend, individuals must obtain a registration form and raise $50.

NRHH is giving students a few more opportunities to pick up registration forms throughout the next few weeks.

Members of the organization will be in Heritage Hall during the last week of January, and again during the first week of February.

The last day to register will be Jan. 31, with the money due by Feb. 7.

Dance Marathon will take place in Velzy Commons, and it will officially start Feb. 8 at 6 p.m.