Does Obama’s ethnicity really matter?

Does it really matter that Obama is black? It may be the sweet young age I currently am, but it really doesn’t bother me. I know the history of black slaves and white masters, but is anyone but a vampire really white?

Yes, I do reach near albino stages during the winter, but I always feel that I am a shade of cinnamon or crimson, not copy paper from the printer.

What I remember, as a girl who grew up in a rural area that is nearly all Caucasian, but with a best friend who was about the same shade that Obama is; was the curiousity as to why he was always more tan than me. What amazed me more however, was that he didn’t live with his dad.

So now as an adult, I am open and unfazed to the idea that Obama isn’t the same milky white shade that any other person who works in an office all year could be.  Why should it be a big deal? Granted the experience of an African American often differs from that of their caucasian or even hispanic counterparts. In turn that lends a different glass in which to view certain issues and policies but a man should be judged on that alone and not the color of his skin.

My Caucasian grandmother is voting for Obama again, as she did four years ago.  She even called me to remind me to vote despite being a 72 year old woman who grew up and has lived within a 50 mile radius from Platteville her whole life.  But, does race matter now to the United States? Or, does the matter of Obama’s skin reitterate the fact that we must now be open to everything, and not insult a single person’s idea, so we can’t have kids in elementary school sing any Christmas songs, they have to sing ‘historic’ songs for their ‘holiday’ concert.  Does it matter to anyone anymore? On the first five pages of reddit there is nothing on skin color, although it can be attributed to the fact that the age of half of social media users are between 25 and 44 years old.

Perhaps we are reaching a new time where race doesn’t matter. Perhaps people are too lazy to comment? Either way make a meme about your thoughts, I don’t want to read an Ask Me Anything about it.