De-stress between tests

Three tests, a quiz and a plethora of chapters that require digestion all while making your meetings on time, while still managing to be prepared: living a hectic life is a common problem among students and could be called an occupational hazard.  The stresses of being a student can wear down the best people, no matter how hard-headed and determined they might be.  Sanity and social lives seem to be the first to go.  However, there is a solution–relaxing.

There are, as with anything, proper and improper means of dealing with stress.  The line between the two is often obscured by peer pressure and perceived social norms.  However, the release of stress doesn’t need to be so complicated; in fact, it’s downright simplistic.

First, take time for yourself.  A typical problem that persists within college life is the notion that one must do anything and everything in order to build a résumé, succeed in studies and maintain his or her social circle. The reality of the situation is that, as a student, you are here to become educated first and foremost.  Sometimes, all of the secondary aspects of leading a college life need to fall to the way side so you can make the most of that education.  Put yourself first.  Take a nap, bail on a social engagement, zone out to reality television, call your parents or work out.  If you get your mind right, then the rest will follow.

Second, make a list of everything that needs to be done and then prioritize.  Within your hectic life there will undoubtedly be plenty of things on any to-do list.  However, it is important to realize which items will be conducive to success and which will be detrimental.  Homework, studying and hanging out with friends should take precedence over other, more stressful items such as a hall council or similar organizations.  While it is important to be involved, it’s more important to get good grades and experience the more social aspects of college life.

Finally, be sure to be realistic in your goals.  Making goals is vital in achieving success, but unrealistic goals will serve the opposite purpose.  If your goal is to be an engineer but you cannot pass the weed-out classes, then perhaps it’s time for a change of major and a re-evaluation of what you realistically would like to get out of college and life.  Likewise, if your goal is to maintain a serious relationship while enduring a rigorous course load, you should ask yourself which is going to last longer, my degree or my significant other?

College can be summarized as a bridge into the professional world.  While we pay thousands of dollars to attend hours of classes a day, there is an overwhelming amount of stress that comes with adapting to the purgatory of undergraduate study.  The only solace to be found is through one’s personal vices and means of stress release.  Through a proper balance of personal time, prioritizing and proper goal setting, you may just be able to find clarity amidst noise.