Ybarra travels winding road back to field

Pioneers senior defensive back Kevin Ybarra has had a long, winding return to the football field.

After sustaining a season-ending Achilles tendon injury in the second game last year against University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Ybarra had a nine-month recovery process ahead of him. With the support of his family, teammates and coaches, Ybarra’s dedication paid off.

“The surgery required 22 staples up my leg,” Ybarra said, describing the recovery process from the Achilles tendon.  After surgery, he went to a cast for nearly three months, to a walking boot and then to stretching the tendon with care not to cause re-injury.

“This is a serious injury, one that not all players come back from,” head coach Mike Emendorfer said.

“It wasn’t until summer when at an NFL training facility with a friend that (Ybarra) was ready to test it out,” defensive coordinator Rob Erickson said.

Ybarra noted that it was the possibility of “another year and a promising team that would be amazing to be a part of,” that pushed him through the recovery.

“Losing a starter is always a hard thing to deal with. (Ybarra) is a top player and a great athlete and football player,” Emendorfer said.

“(Ybarra) is number one in the boundary corner position due to him being very fast, believing in his abilities and having game experience,” Erickson said.

Ybarra was excited to start the 2012 season. “It felt amazing to get back out there, be part of the team,” he said.

Unfortunately his return was cut short. In the team’s third game of the season against University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Ybarra endured what was originally deemed a stinger (a nerve injury originating from the neck), but further examination has caused suspicion of a more serious injury to the deltoid muscles.

With regards to his current shoulder injury, Erickson said, “Kevin is still hungry.”

“I am super anxious to get back, but I need to take the time to heal,” Ybarra said.

“Kevin is a humble person, and is a positive force on and off the field,” Emendorfer said.

Throughout his injuries, “his attitude has not changed and he is upbeat and good to have around the sidelines,” Erickson said.

There is no timetable for Ybarra’s return to action.