Men’s soccer earn NCAA Tournament bid

The Pioneers men’s soccer team (14-3-1) has qualified for the NCAA Division III Men’s Soccer National Championship Tournament.  The Pioneers last made the 62-team tournament in 2008.

“We knew we had a good shot, but we were all still excited and ready for a good week of practice,” Pioneers head coach Enzo Fuschino said.

The Pioneers play their opening round matchup against Gustavus Adolphus College (15-2-2) from the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Saturday, Nov. 10 at Carleton College.

“We are familiar with their conference, so we know they’re going to be a quality opponent,” Fuschino said.

The team will make the trip to Northfield, Minn., on Friday and practice there on Friday night before the game on Saturday.

Fuschino expects his team to continue its high level of play from the regular season.

Senior forward Brandon Chmiel said he was excited about qualifying for the tournament, but knew the challenge was going to be great.

“We know as a team that every team we play from here on out will be good. We have to play a full 90 minutes,” Chmiel said.

“This has been an incredible season so far, so I’m expecting to play both games this weekend,” Fuschino said.

With a win, the Pioneers would play the winner of Carroll University and Carleton, while a loss would eliminate the team from the tournament.