Sports in Brief

Cross earns 2 regional awards

Pioneer junior center Chas Cross was named to the All-West Region first team by D3hoops.com and named All-West Region Player of the Year by the National Association of Basketball Coaches.  Cross led the WIAC with 15.8 points per game and 8.5 rebounds per game.  He is a finalist for the NABC National Player of the Year.

Track to start outdoor season

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville men’s and women’s track teams will start their outdoor season schedule Saturday at Washington University in St. Louis, Mo.  The Pioneers are looking to build on an indoor track season in which four student-athletes earned All-American honors.  The Pioneers host their only home meet of the outdoor season April 13.

Baseball heading south for spring break

The Pioneer baseball team will play six games during the University’s week off from classes. The squad will head to Rock Island, Ill., Friday for games against Augustana College and Aurora College before traveling to Memphis, Tenn. for a matchup against Rhodes College Monday. The Pioneers will then play games against Millsaps College in Jackson, Miss.

Aikido Club offers martial arts training

Training in the Japanese self-defensive but non-violent martial art of Aikido is offered to all University of Wisconsin-Platteville by the Aikido Club.  The Aikido Club practices techniques, pins and throws every Monday and Wednesday night from 6-8 p.m.  Club members also learn how to disarm attackers and how to get away when in trouble without anyone getting hurt.  The club hopes to meet with the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse and University of Wisconsin-Whitewater next year to use what they have learned against other clubs.

Wrestling’s Henken eliminated on National’s first day

University of Wisconsin-Platteville wrestling’s lone qualifier for the NCAA Division III Wrestling Championships, 141-pound sophomore Tyler Henken, was defeated twice March 15, being eliminated in the first round of the wrestlebacks. Henken’s tournament started with a pinfall lost to fifth-seed Paul Marcello from Johns Hopkins at the 1:19 mark of the second round. Henken faced The College of Brockport’s Jordan Dyer in his wrestleback match and he was unable to generate much offense, losing the match 15-2.

Softball to play in Missouri over spring break

The Pioneer softball team will play 10 games over spring break, including four games in St. Louis, Mo., and a double header against Westminster College in Fulton, Mo.