Freshman Rote provides spark for Pioneer softball

While the University of Wisconsin-Platteville softball team has had an up-and-down year with a record of 8-12, a bright spot for the Pioneers has been freshman Carley Rote.

Rote, hailing from the small town of Orangeville, Ill., normally plays the third base position and pitches, but with senior Collen Lowe at third for the Pioneers, Rote has been starting as the designated player.

“One of the most unique things about (Rote) is that she always has a mind-set that when she goes up to bat, she is going to get a hit,” outfielder Ellyn Goerdt said.  “When it comes down to a clutch situation, she always comes through.”

Rote transferred from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and is majoring in graphic design with a minor in business.

Being a freshman poses unique challenges for Rote, such as switching from high school to college sports.

“The competition is by far the biggest difference,” Rote said.  “But so is the seriousness of the coaching staff.”

“You have to have a mentality that you’re going to win and that every game is your last; it is something my high school coach taught me,” Rote said.

Off the field, when Rote has free time, her favorite activities include playing Wii Sports with friends, and she said things get a little competitive.

Rote’s long, blonde hair, which stands out amongst the rest of the Pioneer softball team, reaches all the way down to her hips.  It has taken Rote four years to grow out these locks, and it takes her 15 minutes to wash it every day.  She plans on keeping her hair that long until it turns gray.

Her hair is the inspiration for a carefree attitude of “long hair, don’t care.” Her motto stands correct as she belts out the lyrics to “Titanium” by David Guetta in the shower.

Rote said she looks forward to the rest of the season for the Pioneers, which includes 10 more WIAC games.