Softball ends year 8-20

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville soft­ball team was defeated during their two-game se­ries against University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh on Wednesday, April 24, at YP.com Park in Oshkosh.

UW-Platteville started with a two-out solo homer in the second inning by sophomore designated player Haley Salazar, tying up the game to 1-1. The Pio­neer’s held off the Titans to take the lead in the fourth inning with a solo home run from senior third base­man Colleen Lowe.

“We were off to a good start in this first game. Hopefully we can keep our intensity high,” Lowe said.

A throwing error in the fifth inning gave the Titans a 4-2 lead and followed that up in the next inning with two additional runs to make it a 6-2 game.

Junior pitcher Jeni Freiburger was able to strike out four batters, but gave up six runs in the first game.

Lowe contributed with two of the six hits for the Pioneers.

“We were mentally and physically prepared as a team, but I physically had personal errors that might have changed the outcome of the game,” Lowe said.

Game two started off with a big effort from the Pioneers to score early.

Junior Becca Lowe led off with a single and then stole second base. The Pioneers scored a run once ju­nior second baseman Cassandra Bonin hit a single to center field.

“I wanted to keep the hitters hits off balance and we needed to win,” senior pitcher Melissa Anderson said.

Lowe helped the Pioneers take the lead in the third inning with a three-run homer to left field giving the Pioneers a 4-1 lead.

The Titans responded in the fifth inning with a two-run homer, cutting the lead to 4-3. A throwing error in the sixth inning allowed the Titans to keep a rally alive, scoring four more runs to take a 7-4 lead.

The Pioneers were able to out hit UW-Oshkosh, but were unable to bring home the players for the runs, giving the Titans a 7-4 win.

Anderson was able to strike out eight batters, but gave up seven runs to the Titans.

Becca Lowe, Bonin and senior shortstop Ashlen Folkers all fashioned two hits during the game.

“We were hitting decently well and the hits are good, just not the timing of the hits. We need to group them together to get the hits we need,” head coach Lee Negrelli said.

The Pioneers dropped both games of their April 27 doubleheader against University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point 3-2 and 6-3.

Tied 1-1 in the bottom of the sixth, senior catcher Molly Rice hit a two-out RBI single.

“It was a big spot, and I knew we needed that run, and I came through,” Rice said.

It took 11 innings to bring game one to an end, but the Pointers scored the game-winning run in the top of the 11 inning on three two-out hits. Goerdt led the Pioneers offensively, going 3-4 and scoring a run.

Game two was close as well, as the Pioneers fell 6-3. UW-Stevens Point got out to a quick 3-0 start on a three-run homer by Jordon Schreiner, who went 3-4 with four RBIs.

The Pointers were too much to handle in the end as they tacked on three more insurance runs, one in the fourth and two in the sixth, to take game two.

The Pioneers were swept 2-1 and 12-1 Sunday at University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. The team’s games Monday at University of Dubuque were can­celled, ending the Pioneers’ season.

The squad finished the year 8-20 on a 10-game losing streak.