Sports in Brief

Men, women track teams compete at Drake Relays, Loras Open

A small contingent of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville men’s track team competed at the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa, finishing eighth in the 4×100-meter relay Saturday with a time of 41.47. The time was just 1.5 seconds off the winner. The sprint medley team also finished eighth in three minutes, 28 seconds.

The rest of the UW-Platteville team ran at the Loras Open in Dubuque, Iowa, on Saturday. For the women, sophomore Kelsey Reed won the 400-meter dash in just over one minute. Freshman Kiera Depies won the 1500-meter run in just under five minutes. Sophomore Emily Kjos won the javelin throw with a 125-foot, four-inch throw.

For the men, five athletes won events, including sophomore Joel Walden in the 800, senior Jacob Dailey in the hammer throw, junior Patrick Kessenich in the 400-meter hurdles, freshman Alex Nagorsen in the high jump and junior Jon Petrie in the shot put.

The Pioneers compete Friday and Saturday at the WIAC Championships, hosted this year by University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.

McWethy reaches deal with Browns

Former Pioneer football free safety Ryan McWethy is close to signing a free agent deal with the Cleveland Browns. McWethy and the Browns agreed to a deal less than an hour after the completion of the 2013 NFL Draft. McWethy must pass a physical before a contract can be signed.