• The Official Website of the Exponent, Wisconsin's Oldest Continuously Published Student Newspaper May 17, 2013

Police Reports 4-17-14

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
April 17, 2014
Filed under Local

April 4 An investigation is still active regarding a head-on vehicle collision on Highway 80/81. No tickets have yet been issued for drivers Trevor D. Moon (no age or address provided) and Kyle K. Schinkowsky, 25, Genoa City. April 7 Jesse H. Gruss, 19, Waupun,... Read More »

Police Reports 4-10-14

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
April 10, 2014
Filed under Local

March 31 Connie L. Pinch, 32, Benton, was cited for driving with a suspended license after being stopped for not having license plates. April 1 Valerie N. Harris, 19, Platteville, will be mailed a citation for selling alcohol to an underage person while working at Kmart. April 2 Joseph C. Martinez,... Read More »

Police Reports 4-3-14

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
April 3, 2014
Filed under Local

March 23 Heather L. Schoenhard, 41, Platteville, was cited for operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license and warned for speeding and improper vehicle registration. Updated report: Shane M. Molitor, 27, Platteville, was arrested for second-degree recklessly endangering safety, carrying... Read More »

Police Reports 3-27-14

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
March 31, 2014
Filed under Local

March 11 Abby M. Lacke, 21, Platteville, was cited for operating a motor vehicle with a suspended registration.   Rodger O. Cockrum, 72, Montfort, was cited for having an open intoxicant in public after a complainant called police.   March 12 Joseph H. Templeton,... Read More »

Police Reports 3-13-14

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
March 13, 2014
Filed under Local

March 4 Adam L. Christensen, 23, Platteville, was cited for failure to yield at an uncontrolled intersection after a two-car accident was reported to police. No injuries were reported, but heavy damage occurred to both cars. March 5 Jessie J. Morehead, 19, Platteville,... Read More »

The Price of Spring Break

The Price of Spring Break

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
March 13, 2014
Filed under Local, Showcase, Web Exclusives

Spring Break marks the annual migration of college students nationwide to warmer areas of the country, such as Florida’s Panama City Beach and Key West, and Texas’ South Padre Island. The influx of students into these cities brings with it a quick spike in the local hospitality industry, as well... Read More »

Police Reports 3-06-14

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
March 6, 2014
Filed under Local

March 1 Matthew K. Klubertanz, 24, Fort Atkinson, was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and cited for driving against traffic on a one-way street.   Forrest S. Niebuhr, 19, Platteville, and Joshua R. Weber, 19, Platteville, will be mailed citations... Read More »

Police Reports 2-27-14

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
February 27, 2014
Filed under Local

Feb. 19 Ronald W. Rush, 21, Darlington, was cited for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and for operating a motor vehicle without two headlights. Feb. 20 Nikola M. Fuller, 24, Dubuque, Iowa, was issued a state criminal complaint for forgery and fraud... Read More »

Police Reports 2-20-14

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
February 20, 2014
Filed under Local

Feb. 11 Margaret M. Otto, 67, Platteville, will be issued a citation for failure to stop at a stop sign after a two-vehicle accident. No injuries were reported. Feb. 12 Roger C. Coleman, 21, Belmont, was issued a citation for non-registration of a vehicle and operating after suspension. Kelsey... Read More »

Police Reports 2-13-14

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
February 13, 2014
Filed under Local

Feb. 4 Gokul Gopalakrishnan, 36, Platteville, was cited for improper display of registration tags after being pulled over in the Southwest Hall parking lot. Diane M. Duffey, 62, Platteville, will be mailed a citation for shoplifting at Wal-Mart after a loss prevention employee requested... Read More »

Police Reports 2-06-14

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
February 6, 2014
Filed under Local

Jan. 28 Katelynne M. Kutka, 27, Madison, was issued a citation for operating a vehicle after suspension of driver’s license.   Jan. 29 Scott L. Arnold, 63, Shullsburg, was arrested on three charges: two charges of lewd, lascivious behavior, one in Platteville and one... Read More »

‘America the Beautiful’ turns ugly

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
February 5, 2014
Filed under Opinions, Top Story, Web Exclusives

Move over Thanksgiving, the Super Bowl is the most American day of the year. Chicken wings, beer, football - sign me up. In fact, sign up 111.5 million Americans, as reports show that many people watched the Seattle Seahawks derail the Denver Broncos 43-8 in Super Bowl XLVIII on Sunday. Maybe... Read More »

Women’s basketball drops close one, stays optimistic for future playoff run

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
January 30, 2014
Filed under Sports

These used to be the types of games in which players in years past expressed frustration. But the current Pioneer women’s basketball team has preached a new attitude since the year’s beginning, and after a 75-71 home loss to University of Wisconsin-Superior (10-6, 4-4 WIAC) Saturday, a more positive... Read More »

Police Reports 1-30-14

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
January 30, 2014
Filed under Local

Jan. 19 Dillon Reginald Smith, 20, Platteville, was cited for underage consumption on a licensed premise at School Girlz. Smith also had a valid warrant for his arrest. Bond was posted and he was released. Laura C. Heinz, 22, Platteville, was arrested on an outstanding warrant. Bond was... Read More »

‘Batman’ discusses Confessions page

‘Batman’ discusses Confessions page

Colten Bartholomew, Web Editor
January 30, 2014
Filed under Local, Showcase, Top Story

One year ago, the “UW-Platteville Confessions” page on Facebook debuted, and had the University of Wisconsin-Platteville campus buzzing. Now, with more than 7,500 likes, which is just below the number of undergraduates at UW-Platteville, the creator of the page, who goes by the pseudonym of “Batman,”... Read More »

Football team hits wall at North Central

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
December 5, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Top Story

... Read More »

Pioneers drop dual at Whitewater

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
December 5, 2013
Filed under Sports

It was a night to forget for the Pioneer wrestling team Nov. 21, as the team was hammered by University of Wisconsin-Whitewater 43-3. The Warhawks dominated the Pioneers through the night, save the 8-6 decision at 141 pounds by the Pioneers’ Chase Wiggins. The Pioneers have a chance to pick up... Read More »

Culver’s burns down, cause unknown

Culver’s burns down, cause unknown

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
November 21, 2013
Filed under Local, Showcase, Top Story

A fire in the early morning of Nov. 16 at the Culver’s restaurant at 375 Highway 151 in Platteville caused at least $500,000 worth of damage. No one was hurt in the fire. The cause of the blaze has not yet been determined, according to Platteville Fire Chief David Izzard. The restaurant is a total... Read More »

Sports Briefs – Nov. 21

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
November 21, 2013
Filed under Sports

Krajco, Clark lead women to Edgewood Tourney split The University of Wisconsin-Platteville women’s basketball team split a pair of games at the Edgewood Tournament last weekend, defeating Dubuque 81-78 and falling to Loras 65-51. Junior forward Alyssa Krajco led the team in both... Read More »

Football earns program’s first playoff berth

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
November 21, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Top Story

The Pioneer football team has made the NCAA Division III Football Championship Tournament for the first time in university history, after defeating University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, 17-16, on a last-second field goal Nov. 16. After forcing a Titan punt, the Pioneers got the ball back with just less... Read More »

LZ Granderson lecture discusses bullies, LGBT rights, life lessons

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
November 14, 2013
Filed under Local

A T-shirt of Snoopy on a button-up shirt with the word “Nerd” written next to him on LZ Granderson’s tall, built frame explained it all.   Granderson is different; deal with it.   The 41-year-old ESPN senior writer and CNN columnist spoke to University of Wisconsin-Platteville... Read More »

“Young team mistakes” down Pioneers

“Young team mistakes” down Pioneers

Anna Strasser and Colten Bartholomew
October 31, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Top Story

he University of Wisconsin-Platteville men’s soccer team fell two games below .500 on the year after two home losses to Wartburg and University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.   The Pioneers lost 2-0 to Wartburg on Oct. 23, as the team struggled to convert scoring chances.   Entering the... Read More »

Sports Briefs

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
October 24, 2013
Filed under Sports

Whitehead, Zilbar receive WIAC honors   Junior football players Trevor Whitehead and Jacob Zilbar were named WIAC Offensive and Defensive Athletes of the Week, respectively, on Tuesday for their performances against University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Oct. 19.   Whitehead,... Read More »

Student Senate to vote on library door resolution

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
October 3, 2013
Filed under Local, Showcase, Top Story

he University of Wisconsin-Platteville Student Senate will be writing a resolution in support of opening the south doors of the Elton S. Karrmann library, which have been locked since early this summer. Crystal Fix, a business administration major, brought the issue to the Student Senate at its first... Read More »

Save money on off campus utilities

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
September 12, 2013
Filed under Local

Living off-campus provides an opportunity for students to have their first experiences of running a house or apartment by themselves or with the help of roommates. The benefits of living off-campus are vast, but the freedom also comes with various drawbacks. Bills can become difficult to manage... Read More »

Titans sweep baseball in 4 game series

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
May 9, 2013
Filed under Sports

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville baseball team suffered their fourth series sweep this year at the hands of the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh Titans on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday’s double header began with a 9-6 Pioneer loss.  The Pioneers had built a 5-1 lead after two and a half innings,... Read More »

Pioneer track teams take third, eighth at WIAC Meet

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
May 9, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports

Seniors Aaron Hrubes and Chas Spangenberg were instrumental in the University of Wisconisn-Platteville men’s track and field team taking third place, the team’s highest finish since 1969, in the WIAC Outdoor Track and Field Championships Saturday. The team improved as a whole through this season... Read More »

Pioneers lose final home game

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
May 9, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Pioneer baseball team was shelled by the Edgewood Eagles 18-6 in the Pioneers’ final home game of the season April 30. The Eagles started quickly in the first inning, scoring six runs in their first at-bats of the game on the strength of timely hits and two Pioneers errors. University of... Read More »

Sports in Brief

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
May 2, 2013
Filed under Sports

Men, women track teams compete at Drake Relays, Loras Open A small contingent of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville men’s track team competed at the Drake Relays... Read More »

Sports in Brief

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
April 25, 2013
Filed under Sports

Men’s, women’s track run at Augustana’s Meet of Champions  The Pioneer men’s track team took second at the Meet of Champions in Rock Island, Ill., Friday.  Senior Aaron Hrubes tied a university record with a 10.65-second performance in the 100-meter dash.  Hrubes also... Read More »

Pioneers drop 3 of 4 to Eagles, fall to 7-21 on year

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
April 25, 2013
Filed under Sports

Saturday’s first game, a 7-3 win for the Pioneers, was dominated by junior pitcher Shane Murphy.  The hard-throwing righty pitched eight innings while striking out four. After a shaky start to the game in which he gave up three runs in the first three innings, he pitched five scoreless frames. ... Read More »

Softball losing streak hits 4 against Eagles

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
April 18, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Pioneer softball team was swept Saturday by University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. In the first game, senior third baseman Colleen Lowe gave the Pioneers an early lead on the strength of her home run to dead center.  After the fifth inning, the Pioneers held a 2-1 lead.  The Eagles fired back in... Read More »

Baseball ends losing skid against Yellowjackets

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
April 18, 2013
Filed under Sports

The strain of a 6-18 season can be seen on the faces of the Pioneer baseball team. The young squad, which features 13 upperclassmen on the 30-man roster, has shown flashes of brilliance but is also plagued by rookie mistakes. These qualities were on full display this weekend in the Pioneers’ losing... Read More »

Sports in Brief

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
April 11, 2013
Filed under Sports

Men win 5 events, women win 1 The University of Wisconsin-Platteville track teams competed through rainy conditions en route to bringing back six wins from the Austin May Invitational at University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. Senior sprinter Aaron Hrubes won the 100-meter dash with a 10.74... Read More »

Softball splits weekend twin bills

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
April 11, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Story

Inconsistency has been a central theme of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville softball season.  After sweeping the No. 25 University of Wisconsin-River Falls on Saturday, the Pioneers were swept by University of Wisconsin-Stout Sunday. “We can’t play that inconsistent,” senior catcher Molly... Read More »

Sports in Brief

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
April 4, 2013
Filed under Sports

Cross named Fourth Team All-American Chas Cross, the junior center of the University of Wiscosnin-Platteville men’s basketball team, was named to the D3hoops.com Fourth Team All-American squad March 29. This adds to the bevy of post-season awards Cross has received including All-West... Read More »

Weather cancels 6 softball games

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
April 4, 2013
Filed under Sports

... Read More »

Baseball swept in 6 spring break games

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
April 4, 2013
Filed under Sports

After improving their record to 5-3 with a doubleheader sweep of Blackburn College March 19, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville baseball team went winless in six games over the university’s spring break, falling to 5-9 on the year. The Pioneers first scheduled game over the break against Monmouth... Read More »

Sports in Brief

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
March 21, 2013
Filed under Sports

Cross earns 2 regional awards Pioneer junior center Chas Cross was named to the All-West Region first team by D3hoops.com and named All-West Region Player of the Year by the National Association of Basketball Coaches.  Cross led the WIAC with 15.8 points per game and 8.5 rebounds per game. ... Read More »

Wrestling’s Henken heads to Nationals

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
March 14, 2013
Filed under Sports

Pioneer sophomore Tyler Henken entered this season with a single goal: make the NCAA Division III Wrestling National Championship Tournament. After placing second in the west region, he has earned his shot. “With this conference, it was tough. But this was my goal and what I was shooting for,”... Read More »

McWethy impresses scouts at Pro Day

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
March 14, 2013
Filed under Sports

University of Wisconsin-Platteville safety Ryan McWethy turned heads with his performance at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Pro Day March 6. McWethy ran the 40-yard dash in 4.52 seconds, posted a 37.5-inch vertical jump and performed 31 lifts of 225 pounds in the bench press, the most of any athlete... Read More »

Sports in Brief

Colten Bartholomew, General Reporter
February 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

UW-P’s Cross earns WIAC POY Pioneer men’s basketball junior center Chas Cross was named Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Player of the Year Monday. Cross led the conference with 15.8 points per game, 8.5 rebounds per game and free throw attempts with 137. Cross finished... Read More »

Men fall in WIAC Tournament Championship

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
February 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

After defeating University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point 60-56 in the semifinal round of the WIAC Championship Tournament, the Pioneer men’s basketball team lost in the championship game to rival University of Wisconsin-Whitewater 66-55. UW-Platteville took control of the game against the Warhawks... Read More »

Sports in Brief

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
February 21, 2013
Filed under Sports

Pioneers win at UW-La Crosse The Pioneers men’s basketball team defeated the Unviersity of Wisconsin-La Crosse 60-58 in the first round of the WIAC     Championship Tournament on Tuesday. Junior center Chas Cross led the team with 23 points and 14 rebounds. Sophomore guard Jim Stocki... Read More »

The Exponent Faceoff: The Players Code

Matthew Ahasay and Colten Bartholomew
February 14, 2013
Filed under Opinions

Go Against the Code: Matthew Ahasay Vince Lombardi said, “Winners never quit, and quitters never win.” In the case of Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano, this is certainly true. Despite a below .500 record of 7-9-0, Schiano embraced this mentality by having the aggressive... Read More »

Sparkles show power of inclusion, the word ‘yes’

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
February 7, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Story

Lakyn Merfeld, 18, Dubuque, Iowa, stood in front of her cheerleading teammates at midcourt during halftime of the Pioneer men’s basketball game Jan. 26. Merfeld and seven other special-needs students have just completed their second performance as part of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville... Read More »

Cross, Stocki help men knock off No. 5 Pointers

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
February 7, 2013
Filed under Sports

Double-doubles from junior center Chas Cross and sophomore guard Jim Stocki paced the Pioneers (15-6, 8-4 WIAC) on both ends of Bo Ryan Court Jan. 30, as the squad handed No. 5 University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (18-3, 11-1 WIAC)  their first WIAC loss 54-46. This game also served as a chance... Read More »

Cross carries Pioneers over Falcons, 84-71

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
January 31, 2013
Filed under Sports

Junior center Chas Cross was the catalyst for the Pioneers 84-71 Alumni Day win over the University of Wisconsin-River Falls on Saturday. The Pioneers (14-6, 7-4 WIAC) got Cross the ball in the post throughout the game, and he delivered, scoring a team-high 27 in the contest. Cross garnered WIAC Player... Read More »

Did Michael Jordan hurt the NBA?

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
December 13, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Sports

Let me preface this column by saying that I do think Michael Jordan was the best player in NBA history, but I think this idea should be considered. He is literally the most famous athlete ever. His iconic brand, his countless awards, his basketball skills, his business acumen – everything adds to... Read More »

Men win WIAC home opener over Blugolds

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
December 13, 2012
Filed under Sports

With 3:30 remaining and the Pioneers clinging to a six-point lead, junior forward Chas Cross blocked a shot, recorded a steal and then was fouled on a made lay-up, a sequence that sparked his teammates and the crowd, helping the Pioneers secure a 56-48 win over the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire... Read More »

By not counting defeats, children lose out

Colten Bartholomew, Guest Columnist
December 13, 2012
Filed under Opinions

The mother of the family that I live with during the summer, Barbra Cataldo, attended a soccer match of one of her first grade students in mid-June. At the match, another one of her students ran up to her and excitedly stated, “I scored three goals today, but they didn’t count.” Confused,... Read More »

Wrestling team nets two titles at MSOE

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
December 6, 2012
Filed under Sports

In his first dual meet of the season, junior and team captain Mack Drees picked up a 4-1 win for the Pioneer wrestling team in their matchup with WIAC rival and No. 5 ranked University of Wisconsin-La Crosse on Nov. 29. Drees’ win was one of the few things that went the Pioneers’ way in the match. The... Read More »

Wrestling falls to No. 5 Warhawks

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
November 15, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Story

The Pioneers put up a fight, but the talent of the no. 5 University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Warhawks wrestling team prevailed 31-9. The dual was the Pioneers WIAC and home debut this season, and the young squad started the contest with a surprise. University of Wisconsin-Platteville freshman Cole... Read More »

Tough tests for UW-P wrestling out of gate

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
November 13, 2012
Filed under Sports

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville wrestling team faces a myriad of stout competition in its first week of the season. Saturday, Nov. 3, the Pioneers traveled to Dubuque for the Loras Open and were faced with opponents from teams like NCAA Division I’s University of Wisconsin-Madison, University... Read More »

Men’s soccer earn NCAA Tournament bid

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
November 13, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Pioneers men’s soccer team (14-3-1) has qualified for the NCAA Division III Men’s Soccer National Championship Tournament.  The Pioneers last made the 62-team tournament in 2008. “We knew we had a good shot, but we were all still excited and ready for a good week of practice,” Pioneers... Read More »

Intrasquad dual helps cut wrestling to thirty

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
November 1, 2012
Filed under Sports

Head coach Chris Walter watched intently Sunday as the Pioneer wrestling team hosted its annual Blue/Orange Dual. “The wrestle-offs are designed to get guys at their weight and used to wrestling at their weight, setting a pecking order in each weight class and getting guys in real match situations,”... Read More »

Pioneers win on road, playoff window open

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
November 1, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Pioneers (6-2, 3-2 WIAC) defeated the Blugolds of University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire 24-17 at Carson Park. This was the Pioneers first win at UW-Eau Claire since 1995. The Pioneers used a solid running game to down the Blugolds. Senior Hank McIvor had 19 carries for 95 yards. Sophomore quarterback... Read More »

Men’s soccer eyeing tournament bid

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
November 1, 2012
Filed under Sports

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville men’s soccer team split its final two games of the season, and is awaiting word if the team qualifies for the NCAA Division III Tournament. UW-Platteville won the WIAC men’s soccer championship with their win Sunday The Pioneers went into their Oct. 27... Read More »

Drees, Walter look to improve wrestling team

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
October 18, 2012
Filed under Sports

As the weather turns colder outside, the temperature rises in the University of Wisconsin-Platteville wrestling room. Another year marks a fresh start for a program that has struggled as a whole the last few seasons. In the 2011-12 campaign, the Pioneers went 7-12 in dual meets. T.J. Wunnicke led... Read More »

Kirchner, Pioneers win four, dominate home invitational

Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
October 10, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Pioneers (7-1) took home the crown Saturday afternoon after notching a perfect 4-0 record over the weekend at its invitational volleyball tournament. Head coach Deb Schulman’s squad only dropped one game on the weekend (the opener in the tournament championship against St. Norbert College),... Read More »

West’s ‘Summer’ hot and cold

Colten Bartholomew, Guest Columnist
September 27, 2012
Filed under Opinions

Released: Sept. 18, 2012 Label: Getting Out Our Dreams, Inc. / The Island Def Jam Music Group   Kanye West Presents Good Music Cruel Summer is the first album from the hip-hop group “Good Music,” a group that includes West, Pusha T, Kid Cudi, Common, Big Sean and Mos... Read More »