• The Official Website of the Exponent, Wisconsin's Oldest Continuously Published Student Newspaper May 17, 2013

Titans take over, baseball team expects more

Sara Newquist, News Editor
April 17, 2014
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Top Story

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville’s baseball team lost both games to the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh during their doubleheader on April 12. This loss is the sixth one throughout the UW-Platteville baseball team’s losing streak this season. Although the Pioneers held a 3-2 lead until... Read More »

Break-in, attempted robbery leave University Police with no suspects

Sara Newquist, News Editor
April 10, 2014
Filed under Local, Showcase, Top Story

The University Police Department is still investigating a break-in and attempted robbery that occurred at the university and no suspects have been found. On April 1, a break-in occurred at Royce Hall, where $8,000 worth of electronics was stolen from the ResNet office. The perpetrator(s) broke... Read More »

Dr. Mesut Muslu named interim dean of EMS

Sara Newquist, News Editor
April 10, 2014
Filed under Local, Top Story

Mesut Muslu, who has a Ph.D in electrical engineering, has been chosen to take on this position for EMS (Engineering, Mathematics and Science), which is the college at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville that holds over 3,000 students and 110 staff members. An interim dean’s job is to perform... Read More »

UW-P kicks Zimbra to curb

Sara Newquist, News Editor
March 31, 2014
Filed under Local

During January 2015, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville will transition from Zimbra, their current email system, to the email system that most universities in the UW System use: Microsoft Office 365. Over the previous five months, Special Assistant to the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services... Read More »

Vigil for Venezuela

Vigil for Venezuela

Sara Newquist and Michael Huttenhoff
March 13, 2014
Filed under Local, Showcase, Top Story

A vigil for Venezuela was held in the Markee Pioneer Student Center at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville on March 4. Three UW-Platteville students from Venezuela, senior mechanical engineering major Jorge Finol, senior psychology major Laura Firgau and sophomore theater major Viviana Pereyra,... Read More »

Crisis in EMS college

Crisis in EMS college

Sara Newquist, News Editor
February 13, 2014
Filed under Local, Showcase, Top Story

William Hudson, the dean of the College of EMS (Engineering, Mathematics and Science), has left his position. Although Chancellor Dennis Shields was unable to go into detail due to legal concerns, he mentioned that it was in part due to concerns about faculty leaving, unspent money in the budget and... Read More »

Hackett elected Vice President of Student Senate

Sara Newquist, News Editor
January 30, 2014
Filed under Local

Last semester, Joe Kluever stepped down as Student Senate president and Joe Sigwarth took his place. After a series of interviews with three other candidates, Student Senate chose Colton Hackett to become the new Student Senate vice president. Hackett, a junior political science and criminal justice... Read More »

University to offer gender inclusive housing next year

Sara Newquist, Business/Advertising Manager
November 21, 2013
Filed under Local

Starting fall semester of 2014, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville will begin offering gender inclusive housing. This will mean that men and women will be allowed to live together on campus in Southwest Hall, the four bedroom, two-bathroom, suite-style dorm. As part of the university’s strategic... Read More »

Student senate president stepping down, vice president to take place

Sara Newquist, Business/Advertising
November 14, 2013
Filed under Local, Showcase, Top Story

Student Senate President Joe Kluever will be ending his term early and stepping down after this semester. Kluever, who was double-majoring in criminal justice and international studies with a minor in Spanish, became a criminal justice major with minors in Spanish and international studies this semester... Read More »

App provides woman’s self-defense advice

Sara Newquist, Business/Advertising
October 17, 2013
Filed under Local

ne in four college females will be raped or be the victim of an attempted rape. Third-Degree black belt Helen Anzalone Gordon believes that this statistic is on the rise. Gordon is the creator of an instructional cell phone application that teaches viewers simple and effective martial arts moves which... Read More »

Banned books spark questions

Banned books spark questions

Sara Newquist, Business/Advertising
October 3, 2013
Filed under Local, Showcase

his year’s Banned Books Week celebration had a higher turnout than years past at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. During the week of Sept. 22, students were encouraged to “get caught doing something dangerous” by taking pictures of themselves reading a banned book. Sponsored by the... Read More »

Mud Volleyball Tournament draws crowd

Mud Volleyball Tournament draws crowd

Sara Newquist, Business/Advertising
September 26, 2013
Filed under Local

Ankle deep in mud, 25 teams competed to become the winner of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville’s first Mud Volleyball Tournament, Saturday. The tournament, coordinated by Campus Programming and Relations, required students to register their teams online. Each team consisted of six players,... Read More »