Bo Burnham brought ‘Bo fo sho’ to UW-P

Fresh and interesting piano ballads, effectual lighting, singing wind chimes and glitter each made up a charismatic performance Friday night at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. Bo Burnham, the Comedy Central superstar, gave one of his coveted shows for the Center for the Arts first “The CFA Presents” show.

The audience, which consisted of mostly students, was roaring with laughter with Burnham’s youthfully original jokes. Burnham began his show by making jokes about Wisconsin, cheese and the University’s lack of a mascot.

As a singer, songwriter and musician, Burnham’s Internet celebrity has brought his raunchy jokes to the limelight. His self-proclaimed “artistic one-man shows,” are filled with a soliloquy that is unmatched by other comedians.

Burnham covered topics ranging from politics, sexual promiscuity, women and of course, himself.

Laughing, Burnham said, “I’m like you guys. Then I assure myself by saying, ‘I’m unique.’”

To fully appreciate his comedy, watching him perform is the best route. Burnham’s excessive use of body language compliments his jokes and led listeners to a better understanding of his quips.

“Bo is a hilarious comedian,” said Krystyn Haenitsch senior elementary education major. “I would love to see him again.”

Burnham’s more lengthy songs were clearly well rehearsed, but he was taking cues from a notebook he kept on stage to keep the laughter pouring out of his captivated show-goers. He knew what the students at UW-Platteville were looking for during his time on stage. It is hard to say if Burnham appeals to any other audience than college age students, but his performance matched that of those he has done for Comedy Central in that he was fully engaged with entertaining.

After more bits on just about every social issue including politics, homosexuality, ethnicity and dating, Burnham left the stage.

To a wanting and loud audience, Burnham came back for an encore and sang one of his older songs called, “Art is Dead.”

“I had the privilege of meeting him,” said Kayla Leibfried, CFA Arts Facilities and Series Assistant. “He is really nice and very cool.” Leibfried coordinated Burnham’s stay in Platteville and said that he was easy to work with and he put on a good show in kind.

To listen to some of Burnham’s songs, visit his YouTube page or listen on Spotify.

View Comments (1)

• Z

Zac K | Feb 8, 2024 at 3:25 pm

This guy is super funny! My roommate went and told me all about it afterwards!

Reply
Bo Burnham brought ‘Bo fo sho’ to UW-P