NBC’s “The Sing Off,” season four winners perform for students

Jeremy Williamson

The chance for the University of Wisconsin-Platteville to host a free musical performance of such significance can attract the attention of many students and staff members.

Home Free, the winners of season four on NBC’s a cappella group competition “The Sing Off,” performed at UW-Platteville Jan. 29 at the Crossing in the Pioneer Student Center.

Home Free is the first country a cappella group in the United States, and their performance in rural Platteville had the potential of igniting various cultural connections with audience members.

The vocal group, made up of five humorous, enthusiastic men, began their performance at 8 p.m.

Through a combination of outstanding vocals, comedy and song choices that encompassed a variety of genres, Home Free quickly ignited cheers, and many crowd members were inspired to sing along.

The members of the vocal group are Austin Brown, Rob Lundquist, Chris Rupp, Tim Foust and Adam Rupp, whom all originated in Mankato, Minn.

In the beginning, the group members came together on a basis of their credential musical background, sharing a common interest in the love of music.

After winning the national televised competition, the a cappella group has gained more opportunities for heightened fame.

The prize for winning “The Sing Off” consisted of $100,000, along with a recording contract with Sony.

After the show, the men left the stage to sign autographs and take pictures with many fans.

Brown stressed that they have a common objective as a vocal group, which includes reaching out to groups that are unfamiliar or disinterested in certain genres related to their musical style.

“How can we ask for more?” Brown said. “Touching the lives of people belonging to different genres is an incredible feeling for us.”

Home Free gained new fans at the end of the night.

“I was jumping up and down the whole show. The best part was listening to Tim Foust, the bass vocalist,” sophomore biology major Rebecca Homa said. “It was a very fun show for students, and the band connected extremely well with the crowd.”

“I couldn’t believe the talent that these guys have. The entire performance was awesome,” junior biology Travis Ketterhagen said. “These guys are only going to keep getting more famous.”

Home Free continues to tour the United States, stopping at colleges and other venues to share their love for a cappella with people across the country.

After releasing numerous single hits, they are ready to release their next album “Crazy Life” on Feb. 18.