Pioneers show off their talent at last Open Mic Night of semester

Jeremy Williamson
Freshman general engineering major David Ababio serenades the crowd at Open Mic Night. It was a standing-room only crowd, as Saturday marked the last Open Mic Night of the semester

An excitement-filled Open Mic Night was held at the Pioneer Haus, located wihin the Markee Pioneer Student Center at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, Feb. 6.

At the beginning of the event, seating was filled in a standing-room-only style set up.

Multiple musical acts performed on the stage and expressed a wide variety of musical tastes, including industrial technologies management and music major Nathan Hataj, who performed “Skinny Love” by Bon Iver and “Somewhere in Neverland” by All Time Low.

“I love the adrenaline rush; It’s all the people and the crowd. I don’t know what it is, but it just fills you up and makes you feel good,” Hataj said.

Hataj is a repeat performer on the Open Mic Night stage, marking his fourth appearance in total at the end of the night, and he also plans on becoming a repeat competitor in this year’s Pioneers Got Talent, placing second overall in last year’s competition.

In addition to the musical acts, there were also a few acts of the non-musical variety, such as industrial technologies management major Eric Naylor’s poetry piece.

Overall, there were six performers performed on the stage.

“It’s always great to see people come out and show how they can be musical on this campus, but it would be even better if more people could come out, not just the same performers each time.” Paul Buschkopf, electrical engineering major and frequent attendee of Open Mic Night, said. “My favorite act of the night was the musical act by Rachel Bekele and Samantha Gathof. It was the first time I’ve seen them at Open Mic Night, and it’s always good to see new people.”

This Open Mic Night is the only one of the spring semester in its entirety.

“Pioneers Got Talent is happening this semester. They are going to auditions for that, so it’s really like two or three Open Mic Nights,” Campus Programming and Relations Event Coordinator Holly Sutcliffe said. “Also, budget cuts are a factor.”

According to Sutcliffe, the money will go to different events for students.

“We decided to do two trips this semester: the Chicago trip this Saturday and possibly a Brewers and Cubs Game once it warms up. Whenever we go on trips, it’s a huge cost for us,” Sutcliffe said.

Pioneers Got Talent will begin holding auditions on March 12 and 13 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Pioneer Haus at the Markee Pioneer Student Center.

All acts are welcome to audition for the finale March 29.