Students can be fined for not removing snow

Snow removal is a common concern among residents in the Midwest during the frigid winter months.

The City of Platteville must follow many guidelines in order to keep the walkways and roadways clear and safe.

The residents of Platteville are expected to aid in the snow removal on the walkways in residential areas.

If one fails to do so, he or she may be penalized with fines from the city.

The Platteville City Ordinance states, “No owner of land within the City of Platteville shall allow accumulations of snow or ice on any public sidewalk within the city for more than 36 hours.”

Homeowners are expected to clean the full width and length of their property’s sidewalk to bare pavement, according to City of Platteville Public Works Director Howard Crofoot.

Corner lots must also clear the handicap ramps.

“It’s also illegal to shovel the snow back into the street,” Crofoot said.

According to Ordinance 4.03, “No person shall remove or cause removal of any snow, slush or waste material of any kind from private property into the streets or onto other public properties of the city.”

If not in compliance, the city will send out a contractor to clean the walkway.

The contractor will begin in the downtown area and then move randomly around the city until all sidewalks are clear.

The minimum fine for failing to remove snow will be $50, which includes a $20 administrative fee.

If the sidewalk is longer than 75 feet, there will be an additional charge of ten cents per square foot.

If the amount is not paid within 30 days, the property owner shall bear interest at the rate of one percent per month until fully paid.

In order to help build community awareness, Doug McKinley, chief of police for the City of Platteville, will use their Nixle program.

This program sends out text message alerts that are linked to the City of Platteville’s website.

The community can sign up to receive these alerts at www.nixle.com.