Career fair, useful for life after college

Students and potential employers got the chance to connect at the Fall 2012 Career Fair.

Businesses set up booths in Ullsvik Hall on Sept. 25, 26 and 27 to get in touch with students and possibly hire interns or employees.

Students are encouraged to bring their resumes to the fair and attend all three days. Diana Trendt, Career Center Director, said she hopes students with concerns about participating would have contacted the Career Center before the fair.

“(The Career Fair) can be overwhelming if a student isn’t prepared,” said Trendt. “If they contact the Career Center beforehand, we will walk them through it.”

It is important for a large number of potential employees to attend, or the employer may not come back. Employers at this semester’s fair were pleased with both the quality and quantity of students in attendance.

“Employers tell me about how much better and more prepared and professional our students are (than other college career fairs),” Trendt said.

This fall, many employers requested booths for all three days to reach out to more students.

“The Career Fair is absolutely a success,” said Jessie Donar, a manager at Eagle Ridge Resort and Spa.

Donar’s company has attended the career fair for at least the past five years. Donar graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville in 2008 and had an internship with Eagle Ridge Resort and Spa. She now manages the department.

“I’m proof that internships work,” Donar said. “We have two to three interns come on board every year at the front desk. It’s a great opportunity for students.”

Matt Kilpin, senior agricultural education major, attended his first Career Fair this fall. Kilpin appreciated the professional atmosphere, experience and career opportunities the Career Fair provided.

“(The Career Fair) is definitely helpful,” Kilpin said. “The employers started hitting right on with questions.”

For more information about resume development, job searching and next semester’s Career Fair, contact the Career Center at (608)342-1183 or visit www.uwplatt.edu/careercenter.