Wilgus and McGregor Halls host annual luau

Over 200 students gathered September 13 for the 14th annual Wilgus and McGregor Luau outside between the two dormitories. There were a variety of events that kept the Luau open until 9 p.m.
“The Luau has always been a blast! It’s a fun way to kick off the year and get to know each other better,” said Wilgus Hall Senior Assistant and middle level education major Brianna Hardginski.
The night started off at 7 p.m. with music and dancing leading into a hula-hoop contest, treasure hunts, bean bag toss, limbo and several watermelon-eating contests. Though the event is created through the Wilgus and McGregor dormitories, all students from around campus were welcomed and encouraged to stay for all the activities hosted.
“All the on- and off-campus students were more than welcome to join the party,” says Hardginski. “This event gives a greater sense of community to students as well as giving them something productive to do on a Thursday night.”
As the night went on, the curiosity of passing students led to a larger group of students gathering to await their turn for some of the fun-filled activities. The students swarmed in for the competitive game of Limbo.
“It was great to see so many students at the Luau,” said McGregor Hall Senior Assistant and civil engineering major Tim Brown. “It’s such a great programming activity on a Thursday night to help keep the underclassmen out of trouble.”
A fellow freshman criminal justice major from Wilgus Hall Sarah Godfrey agrees as well.
“I went to the Welcome-Week event and had a really great time,” said Godfrey. I like events like the Luau because it gives us the chance to meet the neighboring hall and meet people that we haven’t met that could lead to potential long-term friendships.”
Another Wilgus Hall resident, freshman mechanical engineering major Amanda Becher, also enjoys these on-campus events. She has attended on-campus events such as Welcome-Week, the Pioneer Involvement Fair and the Luau.
“I loved this event,” says Becher. “It’s a nice break from the workload of homework and (to) have some free time for fun activities without having to go too far for it.”
The Luau was a great success for the attending students; however, there were still many students that did not attend. Freshman criminal justice major Gail Pranghofer said, “I didn’t go to the event because it was (on) a weekday. If the event was on a weekend, I think there would have been more students at the Luau.”
Around 9 p.m. the event ended with a watermelon eating contest and a limbo contest. “Overall, it was a huge success and a good time for all who attended,” said Hardginski.
To stay updated on upcoming on-campus events, visit the UW-Platteville website to learn more.