Parade fun, successful for students, community members

The 2012 University of Wisconsin-Platteville Homecoming Parade had students, friends and residents from the Platteville community filling nearly every street from Hickory to Main on Oct. 20.

A variety of organizations and groups created floats to participate in the event.

“I think the parade is a great opportunity for local businesses to advertise themselves while having fun at the same time,” said Amanda Jagodzinski, senior elementary education and German major.

Groups ranged from Platteville’s local Milio’s Sandwiches to the Wisconsin Badger Camp.

“It was a lot of fun with a huge crowd,” said Ryan Gosdeck, senior industrial management technology major.  “It was cool being in the parade for the town of Elk Grove– especially with our Ferris Bueller’s Day Off themed float.”

Not only was the parade productive and beneficial for UW-Platteville and participating organizations, but it also gave Platteville residents a chance to change their routine.

“It’s nice to have events like the parade, especially for parents like myself,” said Platteville resident James Bendickson said.

“It was a pretty festive event,” said William Pranghofer, senior mechanical engineer major. “And the weather was perfect.”

After two hours, the parade ended and the float winners were announced and given trophies.  The first place trophy was awarded to the Sigma Phi Epsilon, second was awarded to Brockert Hall and third was awarded to Sigma Tau Gamma.