Chinese Festival inspires cultural diversity

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville played host to its fifth annual Chinese Festival Sunday. Held in Velzy Commons located in Ullsvik Hall, this event is coordinated to promote campus diversity and increase cultural awareness.

A series of tables were placed throughout the commons, each displaying a specific Chinese tradition or cultural aspect.  Some table themes included ancient Chinese calligraphy, Chinese flying lanterns, paper drums and masks.  The festival activities were tied together with an authentic Chinese buffet and an elaborate variety show featuring traditional song and dance.

“Every year we hope to educate more and more people about the Chinese culture,” said Mei Reeder, assistant event director/programmer.  “Not just about the well-known traditions, but rather the more unique customs that people might be unaware of.”

Such folk traditions include the Chinese flying lanterns.  The symbol of the lantern dates back to 13th century China and signifies both luck and hope.  The lanterns, made of bamboo, wood and silk, are constructed to light up the streets during the Chinese New Year and display a riddle or phrase for spectators to decipher.

The proceeds from ticket sales and souvenir purchases are used to compensate the $10,000 used to buy the supplies necessary to develop this yearly event that keeps people coming back for more.

“I would come back next year in a heartbeat,” said Zach Masa-Meyers, junior music education major.  “I am an International Pal here on campus, so my favorite part about this event is the atmosphere.  It is a good time.”

Also in attendance was Masa-Meyers’s International Pal, freshman engineering major Lasindu Datunarachchi.  Originally from Sri Lanka, Datunarachchi said he enjoyed being surrounded by a culture similar to his own.

“The two cultures are actually quite similar,” said Datunarachchi.  “For example, they both have kingdoms.”

This festival allows attendees to take a walk through ancient Chinese culture from the comfort of their local college campus.  It has become one of the most popular international events to take place at UW-Platteville, yet event coordinators are always looking to improve the overall experience.

“Each year we come back, we want to have even more new shows and activities for our guests,” said Reeder.  “We want all people to join in, ask questions and make their comments.”

The participants in this international event encourage individuals from all ethnic backgrounds to take part in its festivities.

“I would suggest that all people, even other international students, attend this event,” said Datunarachchi.  “There is a lot of love here.”