STANDOUT STUDENT: Yuexin Cao

Yuexin Cao, junior mathematics major with an emphasis in actuarial science, from Wuhan, China, is one of the approximately 125 international students who attend the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.

What makes Cao stand out is the time she devotes to the International Student Club as president.  As an international student, Cao said she was aware of the club her freshman year but did not get involved in it until she took on an executive position in the club as a sophomore.  The following year she was elected president.

Meeting attendance numbers range from 25 to 40 people, Chengwu Xia, a graduate assistant in the International Student and Scholar Services Office, said.

Each meeting starts with culture sharing, which is where a few students talk to the group about their culture, then members do an ice breaker to get to know everyone and they finish the meeting with event planning, Boonsita Anamnart, an executive board member, said.

Although Cao has a busy schedule, she still manages to find time for herself. Her interests include socializing, cooking and watching movies or TV. Cao said her favorite cartoon was “Happy Tree Friends” and that she was catching up on old episodes of the “Big Bang Theory.”

Cao is also the president of the Ballroom Dance Club and is a part of the Women in Engineering, Mathematics and Science Program.

After graduating next year, Cao said she hopes to go on to become an actuary.

Cao said she was not sure if she will return as president of the International Student Club next year because she would like to give the opportunity to younger members so as to develop leadership skills.

Cao said her one wish for the club is to increase the number of members from the United States.

“It’s not only for international students,” Cao said.  “It exists for students to learn.”

The International Student Club meets every first and third Thursday of the month.