Club brings Asian culture to UW-P

The Asian Students in Action club shared Asian culture and traditions with the University of Wisconsin-Platteville during their annual Asian American night March 2.
During the event, a Chinese-American dance group from Minnesota performed.
The Chinese American Association Minnesota Chinese Dance Theater is the oldest and largest Chinese American community organization in Minnesota. Beatrice Rottweiler, Co-Chair of the Board of Directors for the theater, said there are about 150 students enrolled in the program and the students represent 56 ethnic groups. Rottweiler also said about half of the members were adopted from China and half come from Chinese families.
“There are all ages, ranging from two year olds to 54 year olds,” Rottweiler said. “The students practice a minimum of six hours a week.”
Veronica Bartels, senior psychology major, said her favorite performance by the group was “Rendezvous at Mongolian Festival.”
“The costumes were so elaborate,” Bartels said. “And their dancing truly tells a story.”
Boonsita “Fame” Anamnart, Vice President of ASIA Club, said she was excited to introduce the CAAM Chinese Dance Theater. Anamnart became involved in ASIA Club two years ago, and this was her first Asian American night.
The ASIA Club allows Anamnart and other members to keep connected with their home culture and traditions. It hosts at least one big event per semester.
The club meets every other Thursday at 6 p.m. in Warner Lounge.