Students show wide range of talents, skills during Homecoming Variety Show

Shelby Le Duc
Pickard Resident Assistants Nathan Hataj (front) and Tu Phan (back) dance with glowing light gloves during the Variety Show Thursday night. The group took first place for the Residence Hall category.

Student performers representing residence halls, Greek organizations and campus clubs showed their spirit at this year’s Homecoming Variety Show.
Zach Sherwin, the emcee for the event, is best known for his appearances in the “Epic Rap Battles of History” videos on Youtube and his television credits on MTV, VH1, and the E! Network.
Campus Programming and Relations coordinated a total of 20 acts that consisted of an eclectic group of talents.

The Pioneer Dance Team got the ball rolling with a choreographed performance to a variety of cou

ntry tunes.

“We chose to do a country routine to go with the theme America,” Krissy Dreher, Dance team captain and Homecoming queen nominee said. “Hopefully it made the routine more fun for the performers as well as the audience.”

International Club Members sing and dance to "We are the World," a Michael Jackson and USA for Africa song. Audience members stood to applaud the organization.
International Club Members sing and dance to “We are the World,” a Michael Jackson and USA for Africa song. Audience members stood to applaud the organization.

Swing Club followed not too long after with an energetic 1920s style dance routine performed to Christina Aguilera’s “Candy Man.”
The International club was one of the audience’s favorite of the night as they filled the stage with students representing different countries from around the world.  They shared their vocal talents and received a standing ovation for their heartfelt rendition of Michael Jackson and USA for Africa’s song “We are the World.”

Last year’s Residence Hall Division Winner, Pickard Hall, impressed again with a glowing interpretive dance.

“I think Platteville had a wide range of talent this year but my favorite was Pickard Hall,” sophomore Media Studies student, Clare May said.
Comical skits made up a large category of acts.  Huginin Hall put on a skit about the true American heroes; firefighters and police officers.  Porter Hall used their acting and musical talents in their skit about favorite American fast food, complete with a performance of Adam Sandler’s “Lunch Lady Land,” and Sigma Tau Gamma received laughs for their unique time machine skit in which the men revisited eras throughout American History.
Before the show’s results were tabulated and announced, Jake Ramos and Sydney Denstoreff were crowned the 2013 homecoming king and queen.

The results of the variety show were read shortly after the king and queen were crowned.  Sigma Tau Gamma took first for the Greek division, International Club placed first in the organization division and Pickard Hall took home first place for the Residence Hall Division.