Pioneer Pete logo cut from stadium

Rachael Shaff
Pioneer Pete was cut from a fence windscreen at Pioneer Stadium some time from Oct. 15-16. About 90 percent of the logo was removed, leaving the feet of Pete. The replacement cover is expected to arrive before Friday.

Pioneer Pete was cut out and stolen from the fence windscreen at Pioneer Stadium some time from Oct. 15-16.

Two other Pioneer logos were cut and stolen from athletics windscreens earlier this year.

In April, a football helmet logo was cut from the windscreen by the parking lot of Pioneer Stadium.

Also, in July, the phrase, “It’s a Great Day to be a Pioneer,” was cut from a windscreen facing Longhorn Road at the track and field complex.

“I think you would notice someone cutting them during the day,” University of Wisconsin-Platteville Public Information Officer Paul Erickson said. “We think all three [incidents] happened during the night.”

Athletic Director Mark Molesworth said the cutting seems to have been done by some sort of box knife.

About 90 percent of the Pioneer Pete logo was removed from the windscreen, according to University Police Chief Scott Marquardt.

Pioneer Pete’s feet were not removed.

“I think it’s really disappointing,” Erickson said. “I understand everyone wants a cool thing to put up in their apartment or room, but this is pure and simple theft.”

Erickson said the third theft last week was especially upsetting, since the Pioneer football game will be broadcasted live on Fox Sports North and Fox Sports Wisconsin on Saturday.

Molesworth, who agreed, said a replacement windscreen has been ordered and should arrive before Friday.

The windscreen will be plain blue with no Pioneer Pete logo.

“It would have cost well over $600 with the logo,” Molesworth said. “I’m replacing it with no logo because I don’t want it to look bad for Family Weekend. It’s around $100 [without a logo].”

The Athletics Department spent more than $1,500 replacing the logo that was cut out in July, and more than $200 for the helmet cut out in April, Molesworth said.

“We’re still investigating,” Marquardt said. “We haven’t come up with anything concrete, yet. We’re going to need the community’s help to solve this one.”

Security cameras would be an option, but it would be difficult to monitor all of the fencing, according to Molesworth.

“You can only cover so much space,” Molesworth said. “The windscreen covers hundreds of feet.”

Athletics put the fence covers up to make the stadium more attractive.

“A chain link fence isn’t that presentable,” Molesworth said. “We wanted to dress it up and show some Pioneer pride. When it gets vandalized, it’s very discouraging.”

The Athletic Department will reward $500 for information that leads to an identification and arrest.

Any information can be reported to the University Police at 608-342-1584, or the Athletic Department at 608-342-1567.