Drag kings, queens draw LGBT community

Submitted
Drag queens, featured above, performed at the annual Rainbow Rave Nov. 16. Queens and kings danced and lipsynced to their choice of song. Amateur and experienced performers took the stage to promote positive attitudes towards the LGBT community.

The Alliance at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville hosted its annual Rainbow Rave Drag Show Nov. 16.  The event, held in Velzy Commons, drew a large crowd of students, staff and faculty with its music, dancing, flashing lights and festive attire.

The Alliance’s mission is to create a safe environment for members of the LGBT community and its supporters. In addition, they encourage the development leadership roles within society through effective communication skills.

The drag show consisted of 10 performances of lip-syncing and dancing. The acts ranged from professional drag show performers to amateur drag kings and queens.  Alliance president Carlos Torres performed as an amateur drag queen at the event.

James Nooyen, senior biology major and his boyfriend Brian Nakayama graduate student with a computer science major, were at the show together, dressed in drag. Nooyen elaborated on why he thinks the Rainbow Rave Drag Show is a good event to have on campus.

“I think it shows diversity in the Platteville Community and it lets Platteville learn more about things that they might not be familiar with, like the millions of tiers of identity that I’m not even familiar with,” Nooyen said.

The crowd got rowdy many times throughout the night with one energetic, provocative dance after another. Some performers even made their acts interactive by walking into the crowd and getting attendees involved in the fun.

“It’s refreshing to see so many people come out to show their support towards the LGBT community and to have fun watching all the amazing performers,” Emily Walsberg, sophomore animal science major, said.

Nakayama elaborated on his tips for individuals looking to get involved in something like the drag show.

“I think the act of doing something like this and pushing yourself outside your comfort zone is freeing,” Nakayama said. “It’s really hard the first time, probably still hard the second time or third time, but it’s no different than any other new experience.”