Sen. Erpenbach rallies for Obama campaign

Sen. Jon Erpenbach, D-Middleton, came to campus Sept. 28 to speak to the student body on behalf of President Barack Obama.

Erpenbach came to campus after Kurtwood Smith, the actor who played Red Forman on That ‘70s Show; cancelled his appearance one hour prior to the event.

About 100 students remained in attendance to listen to Erpenbach.

Leaders of the College Democrats and College Republicans were present at the rally.

As a few final people wandered over to the crowd, it was not hard to see the two sides already forming. Small debates were beginning amongst the students before Erpenbach’s appearance.

When Erpenbach arrived, he began talking about the “difficult” condition that the United States is in.

“There is a lot at stake,” Erpenbach said.

He stressed Obama’s priorities of removing national debt, lowering taxes and above all maintaining a cooperative and fair government. If re-elected, Obama plans to reform Medicare.  Erpenbach said doing so could save the U.S. up to $716 billion dollars a year.

Erpenbach was not put off by challengers in the audience and answered their questions. Most questions came from student’s concerned with Obama’s policies. Their main concern was that “Obama wants to take from the rich and give to the poor.”

Erpenbach said the concern is a common misconception, that Obama only wants to give bigger breaks to those who not only deserve them, but need them as well. He also shared his belief that if a citizen is financially capable to pay more in taxes, they should.

However much Erpenbach wanted to sway the audience towards voting for Obama, he said his main goal was to get the word out to vote.

“You have a responsibility to know who you’re voting for,” he said to the crowd. “If you don’t get involved in the process, you’re going to lose rights.”

He encouraged everyone to turn off the TV where biases can be formed and wrong assumptions can be made.

Erpenbach also shared Obama’s plans to uphold the Pell Grant, as well as other grants, so as to make college affordable to all. He also stressed reproductive rights and the importance for women to know their beliefs and sustain their rights.