Free flu vaccinations offered to students

University of Wisconsin-Platteville Health Services is offering free flu vaccines to students this fall.

Administrative Director Vickie Dreessens said this is the second consecutive year that Student Health Services is offering the vaccinations free of charge.

The vaccinations are funded by a grant that was awarded to administrative services.

Jean Schlueter, a health services nurse, was pleased with last year’s turnout.  Approximately 320 students were vaccinated last year, and 120 students have taken advantage of the free service this year.  No appointments are needed to receive the vaccine. Flu shots help limit the likeliness of contracting the flu while other over the counter medications tend to temporarily relieve symptoms.

The flu vaccine and proper hand washing techniques are suggested ways for students to protect their health.  If anyone were to still experience flu or cold like symptoms, there are several tips the person could use to relieve them.

Decongestants and nasal sprays are recommended to take care of the swelling in the sinuses.

People are discouraged from using anti-histamines because they will dry up the mucus membranes but still leave a congested feeling.

When taking over-the-counter medications, people should not take more than the recommended dosage of any medication.  Overdosing can turn helpful medication into toxic, or cause the body to build an immunity to the medication.

“I strongly recommend (flu vaccines) as an easy and inexpensive way to significantly reduce the risk of some of the more serious viral respiratory illnesses,” said Todd Riley, student health services doctor.  “As a result, students are much less likely to miss days of school and work.”

Students can walk-in for a flu shot Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11 to noon and 3-4 p.m. in the health services department.

Contact the health services office at 608-342-1891 for more information.