Safe walk duties expand to meet security needs

The University of Wisconsin- Platteville’s Safe Walk service has successfully run for the past two years. This academic year proves to be filled with changes to better this program.

In an all-campus email, Scott Marquardt, chief of police, addressed the modifications intended for this year.

“The UW-Platteville Police Department is proud to announce that the Safe Walk program has been expanded into a new student security program,” said Marquardt.

Prior to the 2012-2013 academic year, the Safe Walk service was designed to run Sunday through Thursday from 6 -12 p.m. Trained escorts would await student requests by phone to accompany them to academic buildings or dorm halls during late hours.

Up until now there was not an overwhelming demand for safe walk escorts, which is why the Platteville police department felt it necessary to explore other options and take advantage of new resources.

“This student safety program is going to be more functional,” said Marquardt. “Students in the program are now responsible for Safe Walk requests, building lock-ups, parking violations and other on-campus needs,” said Marquardt.

There are currently active student members of this safety program that have taken on these new responsibilities.

“I hope that this program will continue,” said Marquardt. “These changes are designed to benefit the students of UW-Platteville.