Senate supports play vehicles on campus

In coming months, Amy Seeboth, sustainability coordinator, and the Student Senate will work with The University of Wisconsin-Platteville police chief Scott Marquardt to put a policy into place that will address the issue of non-motorized transportation and the safety issues that come with these vehicles.

“I respect the fact that it is hard to be a pedestrian on busy walkways with different modes of transportation,” Seeboth said.  “The idea is to find a way that everyone can use their mode of transportation that won’t cause conflict.”

UW-Platteville students can receive a $200.50 fine for using non-motorized vehicles including bicycles, longboards, and skateboards on campus.

University of Wisconsin System statute 18.10 section 8 says that play vehicles, or non-motorized vehicles, are “an offense to public safety.”  Currently, there is no official policy adopted by the UW-Platteville, so the System statute stands.

Seeboth suggests that the campus designates separate paths for non-motorized vehicles so pedestrian safety is not compromised.

Jordan Miller, senior accounting and business major and vice president of Student Senate, also recognizes that safety is an issue but, as a student, understands the value of these modes of transportation to students.

“We understand that to get from Engineering Hall to Ullsvik Hall in eight minutes is almost impossible,” Miller said.

Safety is not the only issue being discussed with the development of the new policy.  Seeboth is pushing for a more eco-friendly campus and wants to encourage students to choose modes of transportation other than their vehicle when they come to campus.

Seeboth also stressed that utilizing non-motorized transportation not only promotes good health and clean air, but it also saves the motorist and campus money.

Parking lots can be costly to construct.  With rising enrollment, more lots may be in the university’s future if students do not utilize other modes of transportation.

“What I would like to ask the campus is, would you rather build a parking ramp, or put a couple bike paths in?” said Kendall McDermott, senior communication technologies student.  “How much would you like to spend, UW-P?”