Distance learning courses rank in top 100

Three University of Wisconsin-Platteville distance learning programs were recently ranked in the top 100 in the U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Online Education Programs.”

According to the April 8 Chancellor’s Report, the bachelor’s in business program was ranked No. 85 in the nation, and UW-Platteville ranked 20 in Top Public Schools (Midwest) and 70 in the Regional University Midwest Rankings.  Rankings were based on student engagement, services and technology, faculty credentials and training and, in the business program rankings, admissions selectivity and academic peer reputation.

With these rankings, UW-Platteville’s distance learning program proves its continuation as a leader in its field as it celebrates 35 years in action.

UW-Platteville began receiving funding to start the extended degree program in 1978.  With nearly 1,400 graduates from the program over the past 35 years, the various distance education programs have allowed people to achieve their goal of receiving their bachelor’s or master’s degree from sites off campus.

With a core of self-paced teaching that provides the student with the same level of requirements as an on-campus student’s, the independent study-like program of the distance education program is under the guidance of an on-campus faculty member.

As the Internet became commonplace, UW-Platteville became the first public university in Wisconsin to allow students to achieve their degree completely online.  This helped UW-Platteville expand beyond Wisconsin and have students from all over the world enrolled in the program.

Dan Avenarius has been the director of the Distance Learning Center for the past year and a half. His position was upgraded from an Assistant Director of the DLC to help the department grow with the rising admissions of the different programs offered.  Avenarius is also a 2006 graduate of the program’s Criminal Justice Masters program.

After graduation, he was asked to teach the undergraduate programs for criminal justice and continues to teach one today alongside of his current position.  This has provided Avenarius with a unique look at the program from as student, instructor and director.

The first program offered through the system is still offered in different formats including online and on paper.

The staff of the distance education program has grown from six employees in 1982 to the current 40 full-time staff members, eight undergraduate coordinators and six graduate coordinators.

The distance learning graduate programs are a unique because they are not offered as on campus programs. The distance education program is also available to traditional students; however, it is not included in the cost of tuition.

The cost for courses averages between in-state tuition and the cost for students who take advantage of the tri-state initiative program. The courses are priced differently than the UW-Platteville’s credits because the self-sufficient DLC does not operate under the University’s budget and does not take money from the State of Wisconsin.  The DLC pays the University rent and utilities for the space they use for their offices on campus.

“If (students) are extremely motivated to get the class done, I would recommend it,” Erik Willhite, sophomore history education major, said about the summer math course that he took.  “If I would have been more motivated, it would have worked great. It was super convenient.”

However, Willhite said he would not take a distance learning class again because he thinks he performs better in a classroom setting.”

Manuel Kohn, sophomore soil and crop science major, said that he would not take a distance learning course because he feels he would not have the dedication to finish it.

The DLC is currently in the middle of a five-year growth plan aiming to increase the amount of the students in the program by 75 percent.  As the DLC approaches the halfway point in this plan, it has already achieved a 55 percent increase with a higher retention rate than on-campus students at between 70 and 90 percent.

Students can find out more information on taking online courses by filling out a form and meeting with a staff member. Information is also available on the second floor of Ullsvik Hall.