Cushley, Pioneer volleyball take down Titans

The Pioneer women’s volleyball team (10-3, 1-0 WIAC) impressed their home crowd Sept. 19 by winning the first game of their WIAC conference schedule against the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh Titans in 5 sets.

In the first set, the Pioneers struggled to find their rhythm. UW-Oshkosh winning the first set with a score of 25-18.

“Going into the second set, we knew we wanted to come back. We were getting adjusted to the team and wanted the win,” senior Samantha Rampart said.

The Pioneers bounced back, dominating the second and third sets. Junior Stephanie Kirchner, a winner of WIAC Volleyball Player of the Week earlier this season, set the pace by executing  four kills in the second set.

The Pioneers took a 17-9 lead in the third set, but UW-Oshkosh came back to tie the score. The teams were neck and neck until the Pioneers pulled ahead with three straight kills; one a piece by freshman Katie O’Malley, sophomore LeeAnn Mizgalski and senior Danielle Cushley.

UW-Oshkosh rebounded, winning the fourth set 25-19. Titan freshman Briana Wagner had six kills in the fourth set.

In the fifth set, the Pioneers finished strong with a score of 15-12. Cushley had three offensive kills and combined for block duo on defense with Mizgalski. Mizgalski added two solo blocks on defense.

Cushley finished the night with a total of 16 kills and three aces. Kirchner finished with 15 kills and 13 digs. Rampart added 10 kills, while O’Malley finished with 46 assists and 12 digs.

“We won the game by having sheer will power and heart,” Kirchner said.

Rampart echoed her teammate, “Having pure heart contributed to our win.”

The team also had home court advantage.

“I love playing at home, especially as a senior. We have great fans,” Rampart said.

The home crowd was supportive and encouraging from start to finish.

The team’s performance led them to their first WIAC win, but they know there is always room for improvement.

“For our next game, we need to stay steady and not get down,” Cushley said.

Kirchner added, “As a team, we need to stay more consistent.”