Manning, Stocki help Pioneers earn Senior Day win over Eagles

The Pioneer men’s basketball team defeated University of Wisconsin-La Crosse with the help of five players scoring in the double-digits on Senior Day, 77-70,   on Feb. 9 at Bo Ryan Court.

Sophomore forward Jake Manning scored 21 points, eight rebounds, shot 70 percent from the field and six out of seven from the free throw line.  Sophomore guard Jim Stocki scored 15 points and made eight out of nine free throw attempts.  Junior guard Eric Gerber and center Chas Cross racked up 13 and 10 points respectively, and senior forward Rob Stallion contributed 12 points and added five rebounds.

“We want to put our foot on the gas and never let up,” Stallion said.

This was certainly the case, as Stallion and Manning scored the final 10 points in the first half, giving the Pioneers a 37-26 lead at halftime.

The Pioneers’ lead was narrowed to five points with four minutes left to play in the game, but a three-pointer by Stallion helped start a 7-0 run by the Pioneers.  Key free throws in the final minutes helped seal the seven-point win for UW-Platteville.

Saturday was the final regular season game played on Bo Ryan Court for seniors Stallion and Marcus Jackson.  Both Stallion and Jackson said they would like to thank their teammates and coaches for all of the memories.

“I’m going to miss my teammates, the camaraderie and the bonds I’ve formed with everyone,” Jackson said.

“I’m going to miss the fans, my teammates and coaches,” Stallion said.  “Coach Gard gave me my shot and has always believed in me.”

Coach Gard said he has a lot of respect for both players.

“Rob was my first true committed freshmen when I started coaching here, and both Rob and Marcus have provided a lot of leadership for this team,” Gard said.

On Feb. 13, the Pioneers travel to University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire to face the Blugolds.  This will be the final game of the regular season for UW-Platteville.