Wrestling team falls 35-12 to Loras on Senior Night

The University of Wisconsin–Platteville wrestling team fell to Loras College 35-12 in the final home dual of the regular season Feb. 7.

The meet started by honoring the two graduating seniors from the Pioneer squad, 157 lb. Peter Crocco and 197 lb. Abe Granziano, at their last time competing on Bo Ryan Court.

Crocco, a engineering major, said he plans to move out of state upon graduating.  He said he greatest memory of wrestling at UW-Platteville was winning against Milwaukee School of Engineering.

An injury to 174 lb. Austin Holland led to changes in the line-up for the Pioneers, and four wrestlers competed in different weight classes.

“Those who wrestled up [a weight class] wrestled well,” Pioneers head coach Chris Walter said.  “It was tough competition.”

After the Pioneers won the first match of the night by forfeit at the 125 lb. class, the Pioneers lost three matches.

Mike Uliana, 165 lb. freshman, dominated his match from the beginning.  Uliana got a takedown with a duck-under in the first seven seconds, which led to Uliana maintaining control over the first period.

Uliana got another takedown with a swift ankle pick in the second.  Uliana then pinned Loras’ Dan Colatari with 1:33 left in the second period.

Crocco wrestled up a weight class at 165 lbs., and the match moved at a quick pace with Crocco constantly showing aggressiveness.

With Crocco down 11-9 in the third period, Loras’ Joe Butler began to stall and gave up a delay penalty making the match 11-10.  Scrambling for a takedown in the last few seconds in the third period, Crocco slipped, giving up a takedown and ending the match at 13-10.

Loras then swept the final four matches of the night, including a dominating win from heavyweight James Buss over UW-Platteville’s Cody Soderstrom.

Buss is ranked seventh in NCAA Division III at heavyweight.

Wrestlers will be facing stiff competition from No. 4 University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and No. 5 University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.