Cross country starters sit out of Blugold Invite

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville cross country teams gave their top runners a break this weekend as the rest of the squad competed in the Blugold Invite this weekend in Colfax.

After the Griak Invite last week, one of the biggest meets of the season, some of the top runners are taking to the sidelines and letting some of the younger runners play more of a role in the team’s performance.

Having multiple veterans out for injuries and many of the healthy veterans not running, the Pioneer men’s team finished 22nd of 26 teams.

With more injuries than anticipated, this season’s new goals are set for the team.

“We need to readjust, focus on little details and, overall, what needs to be done for success,” assistant head coach Andres Young said.

On the women’s side, many veterans were also taking a break from Saturday’s invite.

With only four runners competing for the team, a team score was not taken, but sophomore Teagan Seneczko ran a time of 25:10.76 for 180th place out of 424 runners.

Both men and women will be preparing for this next week’s meet at home, which is the team’s only home competition this season.

The Pioneer Invite is unique, as it will have both men and women on the course at the same time.

The meet is at Cole Acres Golf Course in Cuba City and begins at 10:30 a.m.