Pioneers drop first dual

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville wrestling team dropped their first dual meet of the year Nov. 13 to Augustana 38-6.

Platteville had two wins from freshman 141-pounder Chase Wiggins and junior 197-pounder Bryant Etherton.

Sophomore 174-pounder Randy Wade had an exciting match but fell into overtime. The score was tied at 1-1 after the final round of regulation but Augustana’s Alex Bowers secured a takedown in overtime to win 3-1.

“He had a tough match. The kid had beaten him at Knox,” UW-Platteville head wrestling coach Chris Walter said. “We had opportunities to win; we just need to score on our takedowns.”

Etherton pulled off the win in an intense overtime match, defeating Augustana’s Hunter Feraco on a riding time point after the overtime period ended in a tie.

Wiggins dominated Augustana’s Justin Smiley, with a final score of 12-6.

“Chase Wiggins has gotten off to a good start as a freshman,” Walter said.

The Pioneers’ next dual meet is on the road at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, who is ranked No. 10 in the nation.

“We’re missing a couple starters and we got some young guys in the line up. We just need to work on improving technique-wise. Our future depends on how well our newcomers perform,” Walter said.

The Pioneers begin their conference schedule this week, as they hit the road to wrestle University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in a duel meet tonight at 7 p.m.