Track hosts Alumni Open

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville track and field Alumni Open and the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony annually has the largest returns of alumni athletes return and reunite with their fellow athletes.

This year’s Alumni Open, held Dec. 7, continued that tradition.

For the returning athletes, this meet was for having a good time with old teammates, but for current athletes, it was the first chance to try out for the indoor track and field team.

The energy was high and the competition between teammates was fierce. The majority of the meet was routine and no different than any other competition during the season except for the traditional 4×400 and 4×200 meter relays.

These relays differ from the ordinary in that they can be more of a costume contest than a race. From “Despicable Me” minion characters to men in full suits, the costumes have become an anticipated sight every year.

Soon after the completion of the relays, the alumni were introduced and the All-American boards in the Pioneer Athletic Center were signed.

Alumni and coaches then went to Steve’s Pizza Palace at 175 W. Main St. for a celebratory get-together.

This year’s Alumni Open accompanied the UW-Platteville Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, where Tom Antczak (Track), Bryan Cunningham (Track), Ben Hoffman (Basketball), Heather (Kehl) Bruenig (Track) and Chip Schneider (Track) were inducted.

The Indoor Track and Field team will kick off its season in January by hosting the UW-Platteville Open.