Chmiel uses speed, skill to lead Pioneers

Brandon Chmiel, a senior from Cedarburg, Wisc., two-time all-conference player and two-time WIAC Offensive Player of the Week, is leading his Pioneer men’s soccer team from the front.

In the team’s 2-0 win over then-ranked no. 4 Loras College, Chmiel scored both goals for the Pioneers, including a bending free kick from 30 yards away.

“I just wanted to score. It looked good right when it left the foot,” Chmiel said.

“(Chmiel’s) performance was one of the best games of his career,” head coach Enzo Fuschino said. “He was willing to take people on. This is the best I’ve seen him physically and mentally; he is really playing with confidence and is conscious of his abilities.”

Jake Coxey, a junior defender majoring in criminal justice, said of Brandon, “I was thankful he put in two goals and he worked really hard in the Loras game.”

Fuschino and Coxey both said they admire Chmiel’s abilities to find a way to score when you least expect it.

“He is a very technical player with great physical attributes,” Fuschino said. Coxey echoed similar thoughts, saying Chmiel brings speed and shooting ability to the team.

Chmiel is a media studies major with an emphasis in graphic design and a minor in fine arts, but his goals after graduation include trying out for the Major League Soccer Combine.

The MLS Combine is a four-day showcase where potential MLS players try out in front of coaches and scouts.

Brandon’s number one goal for the rest of the season is to continue to be undefeated and take it one game at a time. Being a senior, the great start to the season means a lot to him. His two goals in the Loras game are Fuschino’s and Chmiel’s favorite soccer memories.

Aside from trying to play professionally, Chmiel said good communication skills and leadership are two things he will take from soccer that will be useful in his career.

Chmiel the Pioneers are 10-1-1, and play at home next Oct. 17 against Luther College.