Pioneer Appeal attracts charity from employees to UWP

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville Pioneer Appeal, which is sponsored by the UW-Platteville Foundation Annual Fund, gives current and retired UW-Platteville employees an opportunity to give back to the university.

The Pioneer Appeal is represented by different aspects of the university like professors, catering staff and foundation employees who join together to fundraise for UW-Platteville.  This team of collaborative colleagues fundraises for the “M” Fund, which supports current and future employees at the university.

“As an employee I wanted to do more, so I chose to give back financially as well,” Advancement Event Coordinator Katie Friar said in an email.

The “M” Fund designates half of the money raised to an endowment fund, and the other half is made available for awards and motivational events for employees.

“We were very excited to create the Pioneer Appeal, which directly involves UW-Platteville employees,” Gina Udelhofen, Director of Annual Giving and Donor Relations for the UW-Platteville Foundation, said.  “The Pioneer Appeal brings employees together on campus with events such as fundraising or entertainment.”

Some projects that have been supported by the “M” Fund include free movie nights for employees, ice cream socials and a memorial honoring employees who have passed away.  The “M” Fund also supports campus improvements which benefit the whole campus, including students.

Mariah Krueger, junior civil engineering student, said she was not aware that employees have their own fund to give back to the university.

“Support to the university has made my college experience more beneficial,” Krueger said.  “It says a lot to me that employees (including professors) not only give students their time in the classroom but also their financial support.”