Spirit Lake Review Launch Party

Sara Koeller

A semesters worth of work came to a celebratory end on April 30. The Spirit Lake Review, a literary journal run by students on both the UW-Platteville and UW-Platteville Baraboo-Sauk County campuses, celebrated all the work they have done by hosting a launch party. This launch party had musicians, poetry readings and a showcase of the visual art from the issue. The art in the journal is a mix of student art from creative art classes on the campus or from the community, all of which were on display at the launch party for people to enjoy.
Since late January, these students have been working together under the guidance of Dr. Kara Candito to pick, copy edit and pair visual art to publish and share with everyone. The class is normally taken by students in the Professional Writing major, but it is open to anyone on the two campuses, including two internships that the journal provides. This year’s interns were Editor-In-Chief Nicole Krebs and Promotional Material Manager Isabelle Emerson. Because of the work of the two interns, the advisor and all the other students, the journal has grown from a small issue with a dozen or so artists to a journal that is well over two hundred pages long with many different artists and artistic styles, all of which were seen and celebrated that night.
The Spirit Lake Review would like to thank Sara Koeller, Administrative Assistant of the Humanities Department, Dr. David Gillota, Chair of the Humanities Department, Dr. Laura Roberts and all the other faculty and staff of the Humanities Department.