UW-Platteville to re-open previously closed residence halls

A new, cheaper option is offered to students
Cherry Lemon graphic

As tuition across the country rises in price, UW-Platteville has created a new plan to combat this; reopen Brockert and Hugunin halls.
The halls, previously closed due to lack of students and mild safety concerns, will reopen in spring 2024. These will be cheaper residence experiences for students to choose from. “I think it’s a great idea for freshman students to stay there,” an anonymous student said.
Safety is the top concern for the re-opening of the halls. All rooms will be decked out with extra safety measures, including gas masks, Geiger counters and hardhats.
UWP is also considering requiring a safety seminar for prospective residents. “It’s perfectly safe,” said a building inspector, hastily shoving a check into their back pocket. “Living in a dorm like this is nearly quintessential to the college experience.”
Updates on the residence halls will begin in December, with plans to reopen for the spring semester. Updates will include reinforced walls and ceilings, ping-pong tables and converting the laundry room into a fallout shelter.
New Resident Assistants have been hired for the halls- who will be required to do extra training on top of their previous training.
“I do not expect any extra trouble than in any of the other buildings,” said Paul Nark, a prospective RA for Brockert Hall. “I trust the safety and engineering skills of the university.”
The reopened halls will be specifically marketed to students looking to save money while living on campus. The cost of the update has brought concern to the University.
Skeptics have been assured that this process will be both efficient and low-cost, and a benefit to the university. Upon the lowering of potential student populations, these halls would remain open due to the refurbishing and Pickard Hall would be closed instead.