Jay Black caps off semester’s CPR shows

Cortney Kling
Comedian Jay Black, voted College Comedian of theYear, poses for a picture after his performance at the Pioneer Crossing Dec. 7.

A large crowd of students gathered to watch Jay Black, former sophomore English teacher turned comedian, bring the house down with his jokes about his life and past experiences.

Black’s appearance was part of Stand-Up Saturday, a monthly event held in the Pioneer Crossing at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. The series, organized by Campus Programming and Relations, is often a favorite amongst students.

Black began his career as a comedian in 2006 and has since performed at approximately 500 colleges across the nation. In 2013, he was named college comedian of the year.

His performance at UW-Platteville on Dec. 7 allowed for students to get their laugh on, with his constant references to getting a woman pregnant, people from the south, new jersey stereotypes and getting his start in comedy.  His jokes were rapid fire, delivering more punch lines in his hour long segment than most would expect.

Black concluded his performance with a question and answer portion in which audience members were encouraged to ask anything they wanted. Hand after hand shot up in the air, providing a personal and entertaining element for Black’s conclusion and exit off the stage.

Josiah Stewart, sophomore mechanical engineering major, was happy with Black’s performance.

“I had a great time and I would absolutely attend this sort of event again,” Stewart said.

Not only did the attendees have access to a free stand-up comedy show, but they also had the chance to enter a drawing for the best seat in the house, which is a couch put right in front of the stage. In addition to VIP seating, the prize also included a pair of Dubuque Fighting Saints tickets.

Samantha Way, event producer for CPR in charge of running Stand-Up Saturday, said that the event was a success.

“I think it was a great turn out and I have heard wonderful feedback from the student body,” Way said.

Jim Golden, sophomore civil engineering major, said that the performance was fun to watch and is a good way to get out, make new friends and laugh.