Org. of the Week: Ballroom Dance Club

Nicole Young photo

What is it?
The Ballroom Dance Club (Ballroom for short) is an organization on the UW-Platteville campus that focuses on learning and building up dancing skills while providing a social atmosphere for students to thrive in. Taught by Caryn Stanley, Ballroom focuses on basic dances and steps while also adding a fun flare to each one.
Included in the class are dances like the rumba, cha-cha, foxtrot, samba and other traditional dances often taught in a ballroom dance class. Every week, these dances would then be improved upon and added to for students to improve their dancing skills.
Lauren Bonnell, a five-year attendee of the club, said in an interview, “Ballroom is different compared to other dance clubs because we compete with each other, learn many dances, and have a coach who teaches us everything we know and critiques us as well.”
Who can join?
Any UWP student can join. Students, no matter their skill level in dancing, are encouraged to come to Ballroom Dance Club. There are no requirements necessary to join the Ballroom Dance Club; however, if you are more proficient in the dances, you will be encouraged to help others learn said dances in practice.
Meetings: The meetings are Tuesday nights in Pioneer Tower 038 from 6-8 p.m.
Note from the President:
“My favorite thing about ballroom is the friends I’ve made and the confidence I have gained. Ballroom is a fun, stress-free way to spend your Tuesday evenings.”