“Renfield” Movie Review

Renfield” is a 2023 horror-comedy film featuring Nicolas Cage, Nicholas Hoult and Awkwafina. The film takes inspiration from Bram Stoker’s classic 1897 novel “Dracula,” putting a modern spin on the characters and changing the setting to present-day New Orleans, LA.
The story focuses on Nicholas Hoult’s titular character, Robert Montague Renfield, as he attempts to find a life outside of serving Dracula’s every need. Wearied by a century of procuring victims for the Count, Renfield crosses paths with a bold and self-assured police officer, Rebecca Quincy. Inspired by her actions, Renfield sets out to break away from his toxic, manipulative relationship with Dracula and put an end to his servitude.
Weaving between action, comedic dialogue and a hilariously outrageous amount of blood and guts, the film’s emotional core comes from the dynamic between Renfield and Dracula, with the two stuck in an unhealthy codependency. At times, however, the heart of this film feels lost among the subplots, taking far too much of a backseat to side stories and secondary characters.
Cage’s on-screen performance as Dracula was delightfully entertaining yet undoubtedly foreboding, and the film would have benefitted from leaning more into his character performance to build that dynamic.
Similarly, more time could have been given to Hoult’s character and his role in the relationship as well. The movie often felt too rushed and chaotic to give the subject of “toxic relationships” enough appropriate space.
While the core of the film struggled to land, the movie was still enjoyable and easily rewatchable. Minor appearances from Ben Schwartz, Brandon Scott Jones, Shohreh Aghdashloo and a handful of other notable actors provided memorable comedic performances and helped carry the film forward.
At times it lacked genuine horror aspects or a grounded, heartfelt story, but the visuals and humor of “Renfield” make it a fun casual watch with a few nods to Stoker’s original novel, Tod Browning’s iconic 1931 film and the several iterations of Dracula portrayed throughout history.
Rating: 5/10