Blurb of the Week

Image courtesy of Amazon

“It Sounded Better in My Head” by Nina Kenwood was definitely not what I was expecting when I was looking through the new romance books at Barns and Noble. I did not expect to love the book about puberty problems, hormonal changes, acne scars, family issues and the unbearable adulthood that slowly creeps up on every teen.
One of the most striking aspects of the novel is the authenticity of the characters. The main one being Natalie, the protagonist. She was a refreshing and relatable character to me as her inner monologue, filled with self-doubt and witty humor, makes her feel incredibly endearing.
It is easy to empathize with her as she grapples with the inevitable changes that come with growing up. The other characters within the novel are relatable in their own ways; however, Kenwood did a great job at capturing what is the growing buds of romance while also describing those awkward moments that everyone experience.
While the story excels in portraying the emotional turmoil of the teenage years that we all know and love, some readers might find the plot a bit slow at times.
The focus on Natalie’s internal struggles and relationship dynamics might not be action-packed enough for those looking for a more eventful narrative; however, the general plot and tying all these overall themes together seemed to work well for Kenwood. 8/10