Album Review and Artist Spotlight: “The Interstellar Tennis Championship Vol II”

image courtesy of Bandcamp

In the age of social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok, it is becoming increasingly popular for independent artists to promote themselves using these apps to levels that would have been impossible decades ago. Carter Vail is a Los Angeles-based singer/songwriter who can be found on social media creating musical comedy, as well as promoting his music.
Vail released his second self-produced album “The Interstellar Tennis Championship Vol. II” in Sept., and it is filled with first-rate production, clever writing and a lovely, distorted guitar.
The seven-track album starts with “HERE IT GOES AGAIN,” and goes directly into Vail’s world, with a snappy synth and heavy melody that juxtaposes the song’s testimony of life’s more melancholic aspects. The song, along with a few others on the album, contains both rhythmic spoken sections along with more melodic sections in the chorus and bridge.
After the downtrodden glimpse of adulthood from the first track, “WE WERE KIDS” brings color back to the world. A delicate melody on the keyboard, accompanied by steady drums and Vail’s soft vocals brings those back to days gone by and the rose-colored glasses that often accompany it. “WE WERE KIDS” was released as a single in the summer of 2023 and is right at home on any beach and road trip playlist.
The biggest takeaway of the album is “NAPOLEON” as it is a deserved earworm. The fourth track is everything anyone would want out of an indie pop hit, a unique and crisp guitar-driven melody, and fast-paced vocals that are both fun and witty, make for a composition that feels designed to be played on repeat.
Lastly, it would be a mistake to not include one of the best lines of the whole album from “ASTROBOY,” where amid another synth fever dream Vail can be heard singing “big wheels, big teeth I’m a hot tamale,” and while maybe not the most profound thought it sure is a fun one.
“The Interstellar Tennis Championship Vol. II”, is a wonderfully unique album both lyrically and musically. A single listen will leave people with dreams of distorted melodies, and a handful of songs to listen to on repeat.
Rating 8.5/10