Movie Review: “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes”

image courtesy of IMDb

Howard Hawks directed the classical musical comedy, “Gentlemen Preffer Blondes.” The Movie offers a playful and subversive exploration of gender and sexuality, including some underlying LGBTQ+ themes. It is also important to note that during the production of the movie, the Hays Code was still in effect and still made it nearly impossible to openly show homosexual characters within media. It is a common theme for these taboo themes to be fetishized between women. Women within media were often allowed to be a bit more explicit when it comes to the LGBTQ+ themes during the period the film was made.
The film follows the adventures of two showgirls, Lorelei Lee (played by Marilyn Monroe) and Dorothy Shaw (played by Jane Russell), as they make their way to Paris. Lorelei is portrayed as a blonde bombshell with a penchant for diamonds and wealthy men, while Dorothy is her wise-cracking brunette best friend who acts as both her confidante and protector.
Within “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes,” the portrayal of Lorelei’s relationship with men and her unabashed pursuit of wealth and luxury is a bash against how a “traditional woman” was supposed to act during the time period.
In a society that often dictates women should be passive and demure, Lorelei boldly asserts her desires and takes control of her own destiny, even if it means using her sexuality to get ahead. This also bleeds into Lorelei and Dorothy’s relationship as Dorthy acts as Lorelei’s protector and confidante- the traditional ‘male’ role within society at the time. The ladies seemed to develop a close bond and had steady playful banter throughout the film. Their relationship challenges traditional notions of female friendship and hints at a deeper intimacy that extends beyond friendship.
Rating: 8/10