The Origins of Earth Day, Told

Ella Madsen

Earth Day started on April 22, 1970 – the day the modern environmental movement was born. Since then, environmentalists have been working to make the world a “greener” place.
The invention of automobiles was a detriment to the environment. Americans were burning through large amounts of leaded gas while industrial factories pumped out smoke and toxic run-off. Most people were oblivious to all the pollution and how it affected both human health and the environment.
Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson and graduate student Dennis Hayes saw that something clearly had to be done. They wanted to put a movement together that would increase public awareness about air and water pollution.
Nelson and Hayes worked for weeks to gather people in hopes of persuading the government to prioritize the environment. The catalyst for both men was witnessing a huge oil spill in Santa Barbara, CA.
Their efforts were not in vain – 20 million people nationwide attended events in thousands of cities on April 22. That number grew to over 200 million people in 141 countries by the 20th anniversary of Earth Day.
A few months after their first demonstration, the Environmental Protection Agency was formed. The Clean Air Act was amended to include stronger regulation of air quality, and the Clean Water Act was passed two years later to regulate water quality.
In the 1980s, Earth Day events in Washington, D.C. jumpstarted action within the government. Lots of environmental legislation was passed: the Endangered Species Act, Marine Mammal Protection Act, Superfund, Toxics Substances Control Act and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.
The first global Earth Day was celebrated in 1990. Through this unified day, international efforts for environmental action increased. An Earth Summit was held in 1992. This is an event where representatives from 179 countries formed two conventions: the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Convention on Biological Diversity.
The footprints of the first Earth Day can still be seen globally. It ignited generational activism to support the environment, and today many different regions worldwide use Earth Day as a reminder of these shared goals. Though they may be celebrating in different ways, what unites them is this very special day.